What's new

Replacing z-5500 satellite speakers (1 Viewer)

strikeblue

Auditioning
Real Name
Calvin
I've had my z-5500 for some time now, and while they are very good in video games, it seems to be lacking in mid-bass for music. The satellites are actually not very good because it's only single driver with no tweeter and it's very small. I'd like to consider replacing the front and back surrounds with polk audio monitor 40 ii bookshelf speakers. I believe they are compatible because they are both 8 ohm impedance and the z5500 has enough power as long as I don't increase the volume too much.

Would I experience an improvement from this set up? I use these as PC in my bedroom so not quite a full blown HT system. Here are the specs of each...

z5500:
# Total FTC power: 505 watts RMS
Sub-woofer: 188 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 100Hz, @ 10% THD)
Satellites:
Left/Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1khz, @ 10% THD)
Center: 69 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 1kHz, @ 10% THD)
Rear Left & Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1kHz, @ 10% THD)
# Total Peak power: 1010 watts
# Maximum SPL: >115 dB
# Frequency response: 33 Hz — 20 kHz
# Amplifier: Ultra-linear, high-capacity analog
# Signal to noise ratio: >93.5 dB, typical 100
# Input impedance: 8,000 ohms

polk audio 40 ii:
Overall Frequency Response 47Hz - 25kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 57Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 24kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 125 w/channel
Efficiency 89 dB
Crossover 2.3kHz, second order high and low pass
Inputs Dual (bi-amp) 5-way binding posts

The crossover frequency for the sub is not adjustable and stuck at 150 Hz instead of the more standard 120Hz. I've read about people saying that there wouldn't be much of an improvement because of the amp in the subwoofer. Can somebody clarify on this?

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I have a Z -5300 on my PC and am very happy with it, a friend built a small PC based Projection system in his basement and is using a Z -5500 with decent results. Have you played with the adjustments on your sound card to try to improve your mid range response for music?

Have you actually listened to the Polks and feel they are worth the investment over what you have. One thing you didn't mention is your center channel. It is important that all of the speakers in your front stage be Timbre matched so you should also buy an additional polk bookshelf for your center channel.

Since my Z-5300's come with Logitech's RCA wire connections I assume that is also true for the Z-5500 so you are going to have to make up a set of RCA wires for your new speakers. That is not difficult but you are going to have to make sure you keep the polarity the same fro all speakers.

strikeblue

Auditioning
Real Name
Calvin
Well I've tried playing with the midrange on the card in EQ and it just sounds muddy. Maybe it's just the card because I'm using creative x-fi soundblaster 5.1 usb. I'm on a laptop so I don't really have a real soundcard. The z-5500 actually connects using speaker wires directly, only the very old version uses rca. My concern is that the crossover frequency is at 120Hz for the z5500 so I'm wondering if I'll really get much benefit from the polks at all. I haven't actually listened to them myself, but I can only find extremely good reviews for it after many hours of looking through reviews everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.