What's new

replacing VHS wasnt so bad..but now replacing dvds?! (1 Viewer)

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
is it me, or isnt it anoying that i now have to start replacing existing DVDs in my collection for the newer DTS/SE/CE!!! rargh!!
(dont get me wrong, i dont have to - but you know I will)
------------------
- Jason
My DVD Collection

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's always a pain is the ass I know, but it's the cross we have to bear to be in this hobby. What can ya do?
------------------
So madly in love with Estella Warren!

Garry I

Stunt Coordinator
To limit my selection, i say, i only buy if it is Anamorphic, original sound at least, has extra features/ it's a special edition or if it is a Warner/Newline/ Dreamworks, Universal(Except for Ultimate editions and maybe a few others)/ Paramount(they dont always rerelease special editions like Columbia, MGM. Unless it is something i really want then i dont get it anyway

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Remember no one has a gun pointed at your head to buy the new editions. However, I've replaced a few of mine but I no longer will do so unless there is a significant increase in audio/video quality.
I only own around 80 DVDs, but here are the ones I've replaced:
Terminator II
American Pie
Donnie Brasco
Basic Instinct (when it comes out)
Two of the four above - and I'll let you guess - were NOT neccessary to replace. I question whether Basic Instinct will really be worth it - but we'll see.
frown.gif

However, I do have several other titles which are rumored to be released so I'll have to see if it will really be with it. For example, I own Boyz N Hood...there will have to be a very significant video increase for me to purchase this because I think my current version looks pretty good and the extras aren't crucial for me.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
For a long time I have only bought 16x9 editions and I have completely stopped buying all MCA/UNIVERSAL new releases. Heck, I knew CONAN would get re-released, so I waited and I'm glad I did because I now own the 16x9 SE. I passed on SCARFACE, CARLITO'S WAY and countless others. I'd rather wait with that studio. You just know they are going to release an "Ultimate" edition down the road.
But God forbid they would fix the out of synch HARD WAY or maybe release the constantly requested GOTCHA!
furious.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Yeah, considering what some people spent on laserdisc, it's not fair for me to complain. I mean, they spent over $100 on Criterion sets that can now be had for ~$30 on DVD.
I evaluate it on a case-by-base basis. It usually comes down to the transfer/audio though. For example, if the new Outlaw Josey Wales looks and sounds even better than the current issue, I might consider picking it up. However, if it's just a few extras, I'll have to pass for now.
------------------
DVDs | CDs
"While the police are at it, they should find out where my intern is. I asked for those copies 20 minutes ago!"

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I've only replaced VERY few. I've replaced Interview with the Vampire, and will be replacing the Iron Giant (if it's Widescreen) and Willy Wonka in November.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't replace DVDs. I buy versions that I'm satistifed with. I learned my lesson with the jump from VHS to DVD. I probably won't even replace my DVDs with HD-DVD... I'll just buy new titles in the new format.
The lesson is, from this point on, only buy versions that you're satistfied with. Set minimum standards for purchases, so that if a new release of a title comes out, you won't be anxious to get it.
------------------
My DVD Collection
[Edited last by Adam Lenhardt on September 01, 2001 at 11:46 AM]

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>I probably won't even replace my DVDs with HD-DVD... I'll just buy new titles in the new format.<
Adam,
you've just inspired a new ancient Erse prayer: "Lord, give me the wisdom to recognize the good sense of others; then, give me the stregnth to follow."
Marty
[Edited last by Marty Neudel on September 02, 2001 at 04:32 AM]

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Josey Wales still looks pretty good to me. But Dirty Harry looked so cruddy that I sold my bare-bones DVD and will get the remastered one in November.
Yeah, the LD factor in DVDs is a painful one, I know that...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks