What's new

replacing vcr with dvd recorder with dual tuners (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
I presently have my ota & dish signals routed through separate amplifiers, then run to a combiner which allows both signals to be routed via a single cable. This cable is then run through a splitter that feeds 4 tvs. Each tv is able to watch the ota or the dish. My problem is that I want to replace my vcr with a dvd recorder that has 2 tuners, instead of 1. To do this I need to replace my 4 way splitter (Radio Shack brand) with a 6 way splitter, so that each tuner can receive/record either signal, but I don't want any signal loss. Radio Shack does not make a 6 way splitter. Who does?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That’s a moot issue, Brad, because the more times you split a signal the more you reduce its strength, and six splits is an awful lot.

I wouldn’t go with a 6-way, even if you can find one (and I’ll be surprised if you can). There’s no reason to reduce the signal strength for the complete network for the sake of a new component. I would instead split locally the old VCR feed for the new DVD-R. That way if signal degradation gets to the point where it affects picture/record quality, it will be contained to that location. If that happens you can use an amplified splitter to help the problem.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks