Replacing the motherboard in a DELL 600SC...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by David Lawson, Jan 28, 2005.

1. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Long story short, the motherboard in the DELL 600SC at work died just out of warranty. The replacement cost is exorbitant, and the motherboard had its share of quirks (boot problems with slave drives, 3.3v PCI slots), so I thought I might use a third-party motherboard instead. The 600SC was always used as an XP Pro workstation, not a server.

Everything else in the system is salvageable, including a Celeron 1.8 GHz Socket 478 (400 FSB) and 512 MB of PC2100 ECC RAM, all of which I'd like to re-use if possible. I realize that different RAM may be necessary, and we have a few other servers that could make use of the ECC. From what I gather, the 600SC's case will accept an ATX board, but the power supply will need to be replaced, since DELL apparently uses non-standard connectors in theirs. I've also read one report that said the case fans use non-standard connectors, but I have more than a few fans at my disposal, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Does anyone have any recommendations or warnings? I don't need a lot of bells and whistles on the motherboard...no FireWire, no Serial ATA, no 5.1 sound. Hell, even AGP wouldn't be necessary, since it's only going to be a workstation once again. I have absolutely no experience with third-party motherboards, so I have no idea what to expect. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Chris_HA

Chris_HA Agent

No recommendation on Mobos, but be aware the Dell uses custom power supplies the don't conform the the ATX wiring standard. Plugging it into a new non Dell Mobo will fry it.

EDIT: Sorry, apparently I was having the same problems as Seth and didn't fully read your post and the part about the ATX PS.

I would stay away from the ABit lines. My last Abit up and died after only a year and a half. I current have an Asus mobo and love it.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to read part of your original post, so my post was irrelevent.