What's new

Replacing the driver in my powered sub (1 Viewer)

kyle ^_^

Agent
I bought an MTX SW2 12" powered sub recently. I paid $125 shipped and am very happy with it for that price... Occasionally it bottoms out, as can be expected from a $125 sub... i was wondering if putting this driver in would be feasible and a good thing to do http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1&type=product

Also, could you help me figure out if the SW2 is the right size enclosure for this driver? Here is a link to the dimensions of my MTX sub http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...&oid=81414&m=0

This rockford fosgate is an 8 ohm so it should be fine for the amplifier i believe. Thanks in advance.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's a car sub, not really intended to be used in a home. Most likely it's specs will be couning on cabin gain which is normal in a car, but is not present in a typical sized room. It may work, but you would be better off looking for a driver intended for home use that will work in that enclosure. Will it work? Yes. Will it work well? Hard to say, but I'd say it is not worth the price to find out that it doesn't.

IMO, sell the sub and pick up a Partsexpress Dayton 10" sub for about the price you paid for the MTX.

kyle ^_^

Agent
Well from what I understand my sub is about on par with the dayton 10" as it is.. the MTX is a very nice sub for the price... Im probably going to get the 15" Dayton MKIII 15" (1,000 Watts!!) kit this fall anyway, i was just pondering this for the time being. Thanks for the input.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Replacing the driver is an option but there are a few things to be considered. First, what is the tune of the box (based on volume and port size/lengths) and how will that interact with the replacement driver you choose. Also, is there any booste built in to the amp in the sub? Since it's a smaller comercial sub there most likely is some booste built in taylored specificly to the box and driver it comes with. It will be tough to predict how this will interact with a different driver.

That said, a new driver could be a solid upgrade and offer the opportunity to use it in a full fledged DIY project later on. You might want to consider a Dayton Titanic 12" MKIII and then add the amp and new box later. The AV12 MKII/III also might be a good option, that way the driver would carry over into your next project.

Hope this helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks