What's new

Replacing subwoofer driver with Swan 305? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I recently purchased an RCA 12" 200watt powered subwoofer from Radio Shack. It hits hard and sounds good (could probably benefit from a good calibration, but none of my local radioshacks carry SPL meters), but in my never ending cycle of upgrades, i'm considering replacing the driver with a 12" Swan 305. Does anyone have any comments/suggestions?

The 3/4" MDF enclosure is nearly 70 liters (67 liters). It has a 3" diameter down firing port and 1" rubber feet. I have the sub sitting on a 1" thick concrete patio block.

Will the Swan 305 make a good replacement driver?

Will it make enough of an improvement to warrant the $60 or so i'll be paying for it?

Would i be better off buying an old model SVS driver from someone who has upgraded?

Does anyone have any other suggestions in the $50 range?

Thanks

P.S. I'm also interested in refinishing the sub w/ a gloss black instead of the satin wood grain it currently has... how would i go about doing that?

BrendanL

Agent
The swan 305 is a great woofer for the price range you're in. I have mine in 3 cu ft. ported. You could try it in your enclosure ported and see if you like the sound, or, I would stuff it with polyfil and use a pipe stopper to make it a sealed enclosure.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the feedback.

Just curious, but why seal the port? The Shiva specs for this driver and a 70 liter enclosure calls for a 3" port.

Thanks

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The Shiva specs for this driver and a 70 liter enclosure calls for a 3" port.
Shiva specs for that driver? That's a nice woof, just doesn't have the output potential of higher-excursion drivers. You could try it and make a box for it if it doesn't do it for you.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
You could always try the Swan but before you spend a lot of time modifying the cabinet I would just design an enclosure that optimizes the Swan (or another driver) and finish it how you want. You'll spend just as much time modifying the old sub and won't have it sound nearly as good as if you built it from scratch.

BrendanL

Agent
Stephen,
Kyle has a good point. (he often has lots of them) What did you spend on that RatShack sub? I'd take it back and start from scratch. Trying to make something work better than designed, in this case getting a radioshack subwoofer to sound musical, is a tall order. I would put 2 pounds of polyfill in that enclosure, put the regular sub back in, and call it a day. When you feel up to it, then buy a shiva or similar, and build a proper enclosure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks