replacing stock woofers in paradigm 7se mk2.. ideas&thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RodNoble, Oct 13, 2002.

1. RodNoble

RodNoble Agent

I have a set of the 7SE MK2.. which are old.. probably pretty close to 10 years now.. but they still sound great, and are loud.. but... one of the woofers is kinda messed up and its farting a bit.. well, more rattling with the vibration... anyway.. i was planning on replacing the both of them.. but figured i may aswell get some higher end one's. So i started looking around at the paradigm site and noticed they have the ref series.. but couldnt find out about what speakers are in these and where to start shopping around and getting ideas for them...

some ideas on replacment woofs please.. there 8 inch's, and maybe, would i run into any problems with the tweats not being powerfully enought to keep up with a high end set of woofs.. and will there be any problems with the crossover that is in these speakers.. thanx

2. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Parts express at www.partsexpress.com
    Madisound at www. madisound.com
    They should be able to find you ones that will work

3. HarryR

HarryR Agent

I would suggest getting your existing ones rebuilt for a couple reasons (I have done this for my old Infinity Kappas)

1) Less expensive (even as compared to cheap woofers)

2) Maintains correct balance and acoustics as Paradigm intended.

4. RodNoble

RodNoble Agent

what brand of speaker does paradigm use? or is it there own built?

5. RodNoble

RodNoble Agent

6. RodNoble

RodNoble Agent

whoa nevermind.. i picked pyramid... oops!

7. RodNoble

RodNoble Agent

What brand of speakers are in paradigm speakers?

Aswell, where can i get pricing on them.. etc..

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Paradigm tools their own driver in house. The only place to get the drivers is directly from them. They say they stock spare parts for every model they've every made. But I've heard reports to the contrary. If they do have it, expect to pay a lot more than $15 for it.

Just dropping in a different driver is also a bad idea. The crossover is designed to work with a specific driver. Withtout the driver the crossover was designed for don't expect very good sound anymore.

9. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Dustin,
    Has Paradigm always made their own drivers? I may be mistaken, but didn't the early Paradigm's (as well as early Energy and others) use OEM drives from Plateau/Camber? Don't know if they are still in business anyway.
    RodNoble - You might try searching for this manuf. if you cannot get the drivers from Paradigm.
    JP

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I don't know for sure. But I imagine it's likely, as they would have had to start some place. Anyone know how old the 7se mk2 is in comparison to how long Paradigm has been around.