What's new

Replacing Spring Clips on Titans/Atoms (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I just bought some Titans and Atoms off eBay. They're brand new sealed in the box, but they're version 1. I was wondering if, when they get here, it would be fairly easy to replace the spring clips with binding posts from parts express? Or is the crossover network attached to the spring clip terminal cup? I'm comfortable enough w/ soldering and even w/ cutting a bigger hole for the binding post terminal cup and mounting it, but if the crossover is attached to the spring clip terminal cup, i probably wouldn't do it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My V1 Titans had binding posts. Did the Atoms have clips then (I seem to remember that they did)? In this case, are binding posts going to buy you much of anything? Maybe you could purchase the cup for Titans to replace the one on the Atom. I'd expect they have the same x-over board, and/or, and the cup might just fit.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Hopefully these will have binding posts too, but all of the V1 atoms i've seen on ebay have had spring clips.

I really just prefer binding posts over spring clips. I know there wouldn't be an audible difference, but a good set of binding posts really just feels like it's making a more substantial connection than spring clips, and if it's an easy mod, then it would be worth it. I was hoping someone had either done the same, or at least knew whether or not the crossover was mounted directly to the spring clip terminal cup.

Anyone else w/ any insight into this, it would be appreciated.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Where the heck did someone find V1s, unopened? Those would be around 5+ yrs old. I prefer binding posts as well, and would be far less likely to buy speakers if they have spring clips (though Atoms would probably be an exception at the right price). If you got them for the right price, I'd just crack one of them open. They probably aren't under warranty, eventhough they are NIB, so you might as well just try pulling the clip cup off and see what you have (since the grills are not removable).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks