What's new

Replacing Sound Dynamics THS 3000 sub with Hsu VTF1? (1 Viewer)

Earstoyou

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Hochman
Hi, Any thoughts you guys might have about this: I am thinking about replacing the mint Sound Dynamics THS 3000 12" 150w sub I bought very, very cheaply as part of a surround system at a recent garage sale. On a budget, I have upgraded my old system (NAD int amp, Bose 901 VI speakers, NAD CD, LG DVD) with a new Denon 1911, B&W 601 S2 and CC6 S2 speakers, Oppo 93 DVD, and am waiting on Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000s as rears for a 5.1 setup for my 15'x15'x8' apartment living room. (As you can see, I have been out of the AV loop for quite awhile!) I listen to 75% music (jazz, blues, rock, classical) and watch 25% movies, so musicality is more important to me than sheer booming bass, particularly since I happen to like my downstairs neighbors! So far, the SD THS 3000 sub sounds pretty good to my unsophisticated ear, but I do not have much to compare it to, outside of a few trips the Best Buy's Magnolia Room to listen to various subs. I have looked at the Hsu VTF1 sub, spoke to the company (very pleasant, helpful folks!), and it was on sale for $379 last week, which they would honor for me based on my call during the sale. I will sell the Sound Dynamics RTS3 speakers and THC1 center that I also bought at the sale (all for $25, including an older HK AVR and Pioneer DVD!), along with the other stuff from my old system to pay for all these upgrades in my system. My question is: do any of you guys have any experience with or thoughts about this older Sound Dynamics sub, and since budget is a consideration, is the Sound Dynamics sub good enough to keep so that the additional $ for the Hsu would better be spent on something else, like upgrading my older Panasonic 42" plasma, or even just saved to the bank (perish the thought!) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since the only thing that came up while searching for info on that sub was threads by you and the fact that they are made by energy. The only sub that showed up was an 8". I'd have to say it is safe to say that the HSU would be a good choice and would most likely be an upgrade. I have owned a sub from them previously and they are very well built products.

Earstoyou

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Hochman
Thanks, John. It's strange but true that there are so few things that come up through Google for this SD sub, which also makes me think that it might not be sellable for much in order to recoup some of the $ for the Hsu sub. SD was a Canadian company sold to API, which also owns Energy and Mirage, so the few posts I could find were from Canadian and Australian sites. Thank you for your feedback.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What I found says they are actually made by Energy, though I know API is the parent company. Energy has always made good speakers, and these actually look not unlike they might be related to the Athena line that was discontinued. They probably won't sell for a lot, but I imagine they will sell as long as you point out that they are/were an Energy line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks