What's new

Replacing Paradigm full size with Sub/Sat system ... any reccomendations? (1 Viewer)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I am in apartment remodelling mode, the landlord is fixing up some rooms and got me in the mood to change some things around in my system.
Basically, I am kind of tired of my speakers taking up too much room. They are Paradigm 3seMkIII fronts, CC300 Center and PSB alpha rear.
I've had them for 2 1/2 years and love the way they sound but I want to save some space and add a sub to the system (I've never had one in my 10 years of HT fever)!!!
So ... I am looking to ditch the current speakers and get a decent sub/sat that I can mount the satellites on the wall (all of them ) I don't want any speaker stands. Check my website below in the sig. I think this is possible without compromising the sound. What do you think?
I have a Denon 2801 and have NOT looked at any systems yet, but I am interested in the Energy Take5 or Def Tech system.
Another thing is that I want ot stay in the $800 or less range ...
Please give me some suggestions ... In the 3 years that I've been on the forum, this is the first time I am pleading for help .... PLEEEEASe :)
Also if anyone is interested in my current speakers, shoot me an e-mail ... (check pics in the signature)
------------------
RIGHT ... CHEERS!
header2.jpg

The Hole

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
I am very pleased with the M&K 750THX system. I replaced an aging KEF system. The speakers are multi-mountable. Nice sized satellites, and a very good sub-woofer. With the sub properly coupled to the room, the integration is seamless, and you will think your big front speakers are back.
The reviews by HTM, Stereophile, and Secrets of HT, have been quite exemplary.
It's a nice system for around 2K that will do justice to music and never you leave you wanting more for movies.
I would audition them. Magnolia HIFI carries them.
M&K's stands are ridiculously expensive, but their other mounting hardware is reasonable and offers a lot of flexibility. Check out their site and mksound.com it has all the 'parts' listed, including prices.
Make sure to also listen to Atlantic Technology. I am sure there are others to recommend.

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
I apologize, Aurel, I just now read your $800 limit, duh!
Check out both M&K and AT anyway, I know they make less expensive systems, or you can assemble one with the right components.
Check around for reviews on various packaged systems for under $1K..there are quite a few.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Dale:
Thanks for the tip. I was looking at the M&K K5's. I like them but the addition of a M&K Sub is gonna put me over budget ...

Glenn Baumann

Stunt Coordinator
Aurel,
Today is your lucky day! This setup appears to be just what you are looking for! Check out this nice little Atlantic Technology and M&K sub/sat system that I happened to have for sale right here on HTF at:www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum5/HTML/002141.html This teriffic sounding system is in absolutly like new condition and cant be beat for the price of $650.00. The sub alone lists for $950.00! I live and work near you and I would be willing to deliver or you could come out to my house and check the stuff out. Anyhow, if you are interested please feel free to e-mail me with any questions.
Regards,
Glenn
[Edited last by Glenn Baumann on July 16, 2001 at 10:09 AM]

Ken Muro

Auditioning
Hello,
If you're going to wall-mount all of your speakers (including your center?) you might want to try five Paradigm Atoms. They're not as small as the others you mentioned, but they are very light and can be easilly wall mounted. I think the sound would be much better as well.
Best of luck,
Ken

Mark Jany

Auditioning
I would second the Paradigm Atom suggestion, though you would only need 4 as cc centre would still be fine. Any Paradigm or likely other sub should work, I've been happy with my cheap but decent setup of 4 atoms, cc170 and PDR 10sub. I didn't think the PSB's were that big - would 4 alphas with a sub work since you have 2 already.
Mark

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Mark:
I was thinking about the Atoms. The PSB Alphas are out as they are too big...and not really wall mountable.
I was also looking at the Cinema Series from Paradigm.
Gotta go listen to some stuff this weekend ...
------------------
RIGHT ... CHEERS!
header2.jpg

The Hole

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks