Replacing old Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Wood, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Eric Wood

Eric Wood Stunt Coordinator

I have a Mirage MS-12 subwoofer now. But, I feel that it is not adequate to my wants(needs). So I was thinking of getting the Shiva driver and putting it into the cabinet after excising the old mirage subwoofer.
    The spechs on the MS-12 are as follows
    Amp type----High current Discrete Mosfet – 100 watts -400 watts peak .04% THD
    Freq. response---- 28hz-150hz +0/-3db
    A/V contour----------Audio[​IMG]lat – Video:+3db@45hz-[email protected]
    Phase switch --------N/A
    Variable low pass----50hz-150hz 18db/Octave
    High level high--------Approx. 85 hz
    Outputs-----------------high level
    Dimensions
    H x W x D in-----16.25 x 17.25 x 15.06
    cm----41.3 x 43.8 x 38.25
    Is this feasible, logical and would it be a vast improvement?
    I want to leave the Amp in!
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

>Is this feasible, logical and would it be a vast improvement?

====

Yes, no, depends on what your definition of 'vast improvement' is. For me, no way, as you're trading one boom box for a boomier one with a higher F3. It will probably play louder though.

As always though, YMMV.

GM

3. Eric Wood

Eric Wood Stunt Coordinator

I think I got my answer!
    Eric,
    Thanks for the inquiry! In most cases (99 out of 100) dropping a new driver into an existing commercial subwoofer doesn't really work well at all. Typically, the box and amplifier are tuned to a specific driver. There's custom EQ/limiting circuitry used in most commercial subwoofers, that are matched to the original driver. Replacing this driver with a different unit will often result in worse sound quality.
    Rather than rebuild the sub, I'd recommend selling the unit, and using the funds to build a full-on DIY unit. Building your own subwoofer is pretty simple (provided you can cut wood, or know someone who can), and the results can greatly exceed commercial offerings, on a dollar-for-dollar basis. A single Shiva, our AVA250 power amp, and your own cabinet (use one of the reference designs at http://www.adireaudio.com/Tech%20Papers/shiva_apps.htm) can result in VERY high levels of performance, for under $400.
    Alternatively, for $399, our Rava (http://www.adireaudio.com/rpd/rava.htm) will exceed the capabilities of your MS-12, and is a fully-assembled sub; no construction required.
    Thanks again,
    Dan
    Adire Audio