Replacing LCD projector bulbs: some advice please.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey J, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Jeffrey J

Jeffrey J Auditioning

Can anyone offer any helpfull advice or hints about replacing the bulb in a LCD projector?

Also could you replace the bulb with a brighter bulb than the one that came with the projector?

Thanks

2. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

1. They're expensive ($200-300)

2. They're usually purpose/model built so you have no choice as to what to buy.

3. Sometimes you have wait a couple months for bulbs on discontinued projectors.

4. Look for bulbs with long life over increased brightness. My most recent bulb lasted over 4500 hours before it failed.

3. Jeffrey J

Jeffrey J Auditioning

Yes I know they are expensive, I am trying to find out how difficult it is to actually replace the bulb, do I need a technician or is it pretty easy to do on your own.

Thanks

4. Michael Halse

Hi Jeffrey, I have done a few and have a couple of points :

1) unfortunately you cannot put in a brighter/bigger/smaller.....lamp. think about how the projector(mainly lcd paels) are working and with more light it would wash out the image(or catch fire!) they get extremely hot and cooling is a major issue.

2)Always at least clean or replace the dust filter. If the image at present looks a little dirty in places the panels themselves might need a clean (not a job for the feint hearted) as well as a good dusting inside while the projector is apart.Changing the lamp is quite easy, remove the cover, pull the old one out and replace it, but at the age of any projector at lamp replacement time, it would have sucked in a lot of dirty air and a fine coating os dust is nearly always found and you would be amazed how much it affects the brightnress and uniformity of the projected image.

Good luck and if you have even a little skill with a screwdriver, give it a go! At least the lamp, dust filter and a bit of a dusting inside - You will save a lot of money comparedto getting the dealer to do it.

Michael

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I don't know of any LCD projectors that you can increase the bulb power on. You can replace the JVC D-ILA projectors with more powerful less expensive bulbs, however.

For most projectors, it's very easy to change the bulb. Most have just a few screws on the outside of the case to undo, and then the lamp slides out.

6. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

I think the ease of replacement largely depends on the projector itself. I owned a Sharpvision ZW99 and it was dead simple. 2-3 screws, pull, insert new assembly, put the screws back in and voila.

Which projector are you referring to here? Perhaps there's someone here that has owned one and can give you a better idea of the work required for that model.

7. Jeffrey J

Jeffrey J Auditioning

The projector is a Mits VL2000. Also does anyone know haw to go about making gamma adjustments?

Thanks

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you feel comfortable opening your VCR to tinker with it then you can handle your LCD projector. I have removed the bulb from my unit as well as clean the LCD panels. One word of caution, if you are using compressed air to clean the lcd panels, do not spray with full force onto the panels. I have heard stories about panels being blown out of alignment so you don't want to take the chance.