What's new

Replacing Kenwood VR 615 receiver (with passive sub)? (1 Viewer)

erom43

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed
I have an old theater in a box system (kenwood vr 615), that has given me trouble for most of its six year life. The original problem was the display lights that would blank out periodically, but now are off most of the time. Fortunately, I have not had to change the settings. The problem I have now, is that the center speaker blanks out periodically as well. Watching a DVD means that I get no dialogue at all, unless I turn up the TV speaker separately. This has become a major nuisance, whether watching a DVD or TV.....the primary uses for my system.

I am not an audiophile, so this inexpensive system is more than I need. I don't want to spend a lot of money to fix this, and doubt if a repair is worth the cost. I would prefer to not have to rewire and replace the current speakers (five plus sub), that have been sufficient for my purposes. Which means I am looking at replacing (or repairing) just the receiver, or the whole system. I don't want to spend more than $200 if I can help it. After some research, it appears the main problem I have is that this system has a passive sub woofer, and most newer systems are powered, with only a plug connection and none for a speaker wire.

Questions:
1. Is there a decent receiver available that will support the passive sub?
2. Do I need another 600 watt receiver, or will less do?
3. Is there an inexpensive amp solution to adapt for the passive sub and newer receiver?

4. If I can't find a suitable receiver, am I better off getting a new receiver and powered sub, or a whole new system?

Looking for advice, thanks.

erom43

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed
Thanks. From what I can see, I can get a powered sub for just under $100, and a new receiver for around $150. As for that receiver, many are discontinued by the manufacturer. Wondering if that is a consideration I should be concerned with.

On the other hand, I can get a complete new Yamaha system for about $315. If I just get a new receiver and sub, do I have to worry about compatibility problems. I would appreciate your thoughts.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Just a word of caution....

A quick search didn't return much info on the speakers that came with your system. Without knowing the specs and knowing that many HTiB systems ship with very high impedance speakers (less the 4 ohm), it is often unwise to re-use them. They could do significant damage to a new receiver (or the receiver may just refuse to work with them).

When you purchase an HTiB, you should consider it one unit. If one part breaks, you have to replace the whole thing.

erom43

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed
OK. Forgot to mention that the speakers are Kenwood KS-206-HT, 100w, 8 ohm.

citywalker

Agent
Real Name
Marco
Your speakers will work with new av receiver, no problem at all. Only new active subwoofer is required for LFE channel.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al

erom43

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The biggest "hurdle" regarding the 5.0 portion of what you have...

Pre-Package(not the same thing as HTiB) speakers tend to be the weak link. But...

I wouldn't go smaller(woofer wise) than what you have now. I doubt the Kenwood speakers are very efficient(would not be shocked if between 79-83).

I would buy a pair...of almost anything(BIC/JBL/Infinity) you can find cheap(under $100) on your local Craigslist.

Do an AB comparison. Then you'll know if you want(need) different(newer does not always mean better. My bedroom Polk are 20+ years old) speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks