Replacing Kenwood HTB 503 Center

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle W, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Kyle W

Kyle W Extra

Looking for opinions on upgrading just the center channel on my Kenwood HTB 503. I love this system, but can't help but feel I'm losing some clarity from the Kenwood center's single full range driver.

I'm not ready to upgrade all the speakers, so I don't want to get something that is too high-end and won't match the rest of the system. But would like to spend less than $100 to get a better center channel for now, and going high end later.

My local Best Buy has a Cerwin Vega! LS-C5 Center on sale for $90. It's rated at 100w and has two 5.25" drivers and a 1" tweeter. Sounded very good, even in their unrealistic demo area.

Anyone?

Kyle

Austin, TX

2. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

Kyle,

You need to stay with the same manufacturer to keep the fronts timbre matched. Buying the Cerwin Vega is likely a bad idea, because the timbre will probably not match the fronts.

This is a problem. An example is if a moped moves across the screen from left to right. With mismatched speakers it may sound like a Harley Davidson as it moves through the center channel. Your best bet is to go find a good Kenwood center channel. They will likely have drivers that are very similar to your other speakers.

3. Kyle W

Kyle W Extra

Jason:

Thanks for the input.

Kenwood used to make a center channel that is identical to the left/right speakers I have. Is it okay to have a center channel that's the exact same speaker as the left and right ones?

Kyle

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

That's actually the BEST -

Same 3 across the front.

- CM