What's new

Replacing iPhone 6s with iPhone 13 Pro (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What accessories do I need for this upgrade such as charging gear, phone case and etc?

Also, how difficult to transfer data from old phone to new one?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wait. Thought you already did this a while back, no?

Anyway, you should be able to keep using the same chargers (and cables) as before... though you might possibly want to upgrade for faster charging, if you find your old chargers too slow. You won't be able to keep using old wired headsets/headphones unless you use a Lightning port dongle/adapter -- Apple's own offering seems surprisingly inexpensive... though they used to include it free w/ new phones a long while back.

For an affordable clear case, I can certainly recommend this one from Spigen, especially if you'd like to retain MagSafe capability (even though there still doesn't seem great options for MagSafe chargers last I checked):

Data transfer should be easy/simple if you choose direct transfer from your iPhone 6s... though that won't transfer music files (as usual) nor login credentials for many/most apps. You can also do the old backup restore from iCloud instead, if you prefer -- I believe they're now even offering temp iCloud storage for this for those who don't pay for iCloud. How fast both methods take will likely depend on your Wifi speeds and/or internet speeds to varying degrees -- depends on the specifics of your situation though direct transfer should require less of internet speed...

IF you want to keep using a physical SIM card for your (main) line, you should physically transfer your 6s's SIM card over to the new phone before activating, etc. Otherwise, you could transfer to the new phone's built-in eSIM -- and it has 2 built-in. IF you choose to transfer to using eSIM (for your main line), it could be a bit tricky near as I can tell (as some experienced problems in the past), so make sure you understand how to do it properly before proceeding w/ that. I just stuck w/ moving/using my physical SIM for now instead, but might eventually transfer to eSIM (and probably save the physical slot for future international travel uses)...

_Man_

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There is a very simple way to transfer all the data from one iPhone to another. I used this when I transferred a 6S to a 7, and then from the 7 to a 13: How to Transfer All Data from an Old iPhone to a New iPhone

For the 13 I switched carriers and used a new SIM card. It transfers everything, including apps, messages, photos, etc. You just have to make sure both phones have the same version of IOS.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you’re still using the original 5W Apple charger, toss it and buy a new 20W GaN charger. They’re about $15.

How are you liking this charger so far?

I'm thinking of adding one of these (or maybe more for the family and my Mom), but I see a few Amazon reviewers complaining their units run too hot -- and a lot of other reviewers seem to complain theirs died rather quickly (well short of a year of usage)... though the overwhelming majority seem to rate it highly enough (for 4.8 stars overall)...

I've been using this fairly bulky (more powerful) one for 2 years w/out issues (and no signs of overheating), but would like to add a smaller fast charger (in that ballpark pricewise) for travel/convenience...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It’s a charger. It charges. Plug in wall and forget about it.

:laugh: Well, given the handful complaints on Amazon and not sure if many just do as you suggest and never notice them possibly running much too (potentially dangerously) hot, prone to failure, etc... as those are probably the most likely issues w/ this sort of gadget... :P

IF this charger typically runs extremely hot (probably due largely to its small/compact design), I'd probably wanna take a pass on it...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
:laugh: Well, given the handful complaints on Amazon and not sure if many just do as you suggest and never notice them possibly running much too (potentially dangerously) hot, prone to failure, etc... as those are probably the most likely issues w/ this sort of gadget... :P

IF this charger typically runs extremely hot (probably due largely to its small/compact design), I'd probably wanna take a pass on it...

_Man_
I have no idea if it runs hot. But my house hasn’t burnt down yet.

I’ve bought a bunch of Anker products in recent years, and been happy with all of them. I consider them a trusted Brand; I’ll buy their charging products before Apple’s for their great quality and value.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What accessories do I need for this upgrade such as charging gear, phone case and etc?

Also, how difficult to transfer data from old phone to new one?
While I don’t own a 13, I suspect you should get a chin strap to keep your chin from hitting floor whenever you look at the screen or it’s performance astounds you in some other way.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks