What's new

Replacing home windows with Projectors/Screens (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Peter Lalonde
[SIZE= smaller]Hey all,[/SIZE]

[SIZE= smaller] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= smaller]Here's the idea. Buy a house/building and instead of adding windows add projectors and screens to replace windows - creating a view of live video of whatever I want (i.e loop of Niagara Falls). There will be ambient light (i.e there will be some regular windows and household lights) but I have no idea of whether the proper grey screen and projector could look totally realistic and what equipment would work. Thx[/SIZE]

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Eschewing the obvious question of "why", I'll just ask why not use wall-mounted flat-panel TVs instead of projectors?

Projectors will have problems with the ambient light, will be much more difficult to install, have the added problem of shadows as people walk between the projector and screen. Not to mention, they would be overkill if you were projecting mostly "window-sized" images.

Flat panel displays can be bright and vivid even in harsh lighting. If you ensure proper ventilation, they could even be "framed" with moulding to look more like a traditional window.

Real Name
Peter Lalonde
Thanks

Nice use of the word "Eschewing".

I am thinking of multiple large windows like a Penthouse apartment.

The shadow issue is a very good one. Thanks.

I want to do it because I live in a frozen wasteland and would love to have realistic different views every day like the Nile out my window. Yes I am an idiot.

The LCDs are very expensive for this kind of size. I may be euchred but not done dreaming yet.

Peter

Real Name
Peter Lalonde
Jeez, that's a good point too. Thx

I'm looking for very lcds but that path seems way too expensive.

Maybe I could put 4 smaller lcds together (can have monitors on mac for example) and make them "one window" with four panes.

I am really, really open to any ideas.

Real Name
Peter Lalonde
Hi Jim,

It may seem like a joke. Maybe it is. But not intentional.

The idea of walking into my home and one day looking out my 'windows' onto the Mediterranean and the next a rainforest and the next downtown Rome is very appealing to me. Right now my view is of my neighbors stink stack. I have a very open concept one-level place so I could add 'windows' on two sides easily.

I get to travel a bit so I also like the idea of setting a camera and shooting a static shot (two cameras at 90 degree angles actually) for 8-10 hours. It would then be a view I could re-experience forever.

Maybe dumb. But not for me. I am just trying to see if it could actually be done.

Any ideas please.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Why not just put heavy drapes over you window to keep out the undesirable view and spend what you would have spent on your virtual window project on a really nice HT system to give you the coming home sights and sounds you desire. Not only will you see the rain forest you will also hear the rain forest.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Build a couple of light boxes and install some large format transparencies in them. Every few months change the images (to match the seasons.) Almost certainly cheaper, easier and more practical that what you're suggesting, albeit less cool and electronic.

Regards,

Joe

Real Name
Peter Lalonde
I appreciate all the input.

The thing is that I know exactly what I want - a little out there or not.

It's just how to do it.

I am seeing now (thanks) a lot of fundamental things I overlooked. But there 'might' be work arounds? I have to believe this is the place to find them.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
This is certainly doable - Bill Gates has pretty much exactly the system you're describing. The hard part is doing it when you aren't Bill Gates. If you could give us some kind of budget number, we might be able to make some more concrete suggestions. The first thing I would suggest is that you start thinking in terms of one "window". If that works you can always add more later.

Regards,

Joe

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Similar effect, comparable cheeze, substantial savings;

http://www.kineticpicture.com/

Real Name
Peter Lalonde
I think the one window is a great way to ease into it. Thanks.

I am thinking of $15-25k per 'picture window' but have no basis whatsoever for picking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks