replacing hard drive (Pana E80)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DavidAnthrope, Jul 21, 2004.

1. DavidAnthrope

I have a Panasonic E80HS which has an 80gb hard drive.
    I believe the hard drive has died as the unit is giving me an "UNFORMAT" error and a much less descriptive "FORMAT FAILED" error when I try to format the drive.

It was in operation for approximately 6 months and used heavily prior to this (if that's important).

Question is - thanks to the wonderful 90-day warranty, I have to either pay to have it repaired or do it myself. Can I just buy a new 80gb hard drive and swap it out myself?

To clarify - I'm asking about the unit it self, not my own ability. I know I -can- swap a new drive in, question is, will the unit tolerate the swap ok? Does it have any link to the drive, ie; does it expect a certain make/model? It looks like standard EIDE/ATA and I'd guess any new drive at ATA133 will work - but I want to see if anyone out there has experience doing it.

I'd hate to pay big $$$ to a repair shop when I think I might be able to finally get some use out of my 20+ years of torment with computers :)

Thanks in advance for any insight
    /D

2. Brian Co

Brian Co Extra

Sorry, but your information is incorrrect. It states quite clearly in the E-80 manual that Panasonic has a 1 year Parts/Labor warranty on their DVD Recorders.

3. DavidAnthrope

Well I'll be!!!
    Right you are!
    They must have changed it since the HS2 - I had the hard drive die in that one too and the repair shop said "Sorry, 90 day warranty only".

PS: You'd THINK that after 2 out of 2 units having drives die that I'd give up and buy something else. Considering the horribly broken UI in the E85 I think it's time to switch brands.

Anyway - THANK YOU for setting me straight on that.

4. DavidAnthrope

Ok but if I -did- want to replace the hard drive myself, I'd still like to find out if it's ok to do. I'll probably keep the unit and I'm sure the drive will die again after the 1yr is up.

Anyone?