Replacing DVDs that have gone bad

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jere, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Jere

Jere Auditioning

I've done several searches here and elsewhere, but haven't found anything with general advice. I have hundreds of DVDs and care for them obsessively -- not one shows a scratch or fingerprint (some I've had for years). But I've started to discover that a few DVDs which played fine when I first bought them now won't play, or break up at some spot and ultimately freeze. I don't know whether it's the dreaded "DVD rot" or something else (my player's a 1999 vintage Sony DVP 8330, and it still plays most disks just fine).

Any suggestions on replacing these DVDs after months or years? The places where I bought them won't replace them after this amount of time. Should I try the original manufacturers? I certainly don't want to buy them all over again. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Check your bad DVD's in the center ring and see if it say's "WAMO"on it. I think this is probably the case. Some have referred it to DVD rot, a term I believe came from the laser disk days when this problem first showed its ugly head. My understanding is that the glue that keeps it together is coming undone and it causes these problems. From memory some of these"WAMO" DVD's were "From Earth To The Moon", "Contact", and a bunch more just can't recall. I think "WAMO" just pretended there was now problem, but this has been a while now, so I am not sure what the current status is on this. Try a search on "WAMO" on the forum and see if you have any luck.

3. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

I have had the same problem in the past (my DVD of THE MATRIX stopped working six months after I bought it back in 2000). Good ol' DVD rot.

I ended up rebuying most of the ones that have crapped out on me (CONTACT was another one). I don't know of any retailer who's going to give you a refund/replacement after more than a month (at most). And getting a replacement from the manufacturer? Not gonna happen. I don't think any manufacturer will guarantee that their product will last forever (or for any period of time, for that matter). DVD rot is just one of the hazards of the home theater hobby unfortunately. [​IMG]

4. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

Actually, Kenneth, at least one manufacturer will send a replacement. I had an original edition of Pulp Fiction go bad after three years, I sent it to Buena Vista at the address printed on the sleeve, and received a mint, sealed replacement within four weeks. Not bad considering I sent it to a US address from the UK.

My covering letter simply asked for a new disc on the grounds that it was clearly a manufacturing fault, the disc was spotless, and that I didn't expect three years to be the shelflife of a dvd. And why should I? I have cd's that are 17 years old and play perfectly, why should I accept that dvd rot is an accepted hazard. I don't see such a warning on the box, in the manual, or even the original dvd specifications.

Now if only I could find an address for New Line so they can have my old Boogie Nights back. Or my UK R2 Chicken Run from Pathe. I become most irritated that these companies are happy to take my money, but not happy to accept responsibility for their products to the extent that they print a contact address on the packaging, in case of a problem.

5. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I have only one disc gone bad in my rather large DVD library. It's not my player as I have attempted to play the disc on a couple of friends players with the same dire results.

I contacted Anchor Bay about it over a month ago (gave them my address, phone number and e-mail) and they have not responded to me in anyway. Most frustrating.

6. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

So far nothing has happened in my collection and a couple of discs go as far back as 1997 and 1998. Does the number of times you watch a DVD affect it's life?

7. Bob_Hammond

Bob_Hammond Agent

Have you tried another DVD player? I thought that some disks were bad, but it turned out that my older player was starting to fail. It would play some disks and not others. My new player has no problems with the same disks.

Bob

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

No.

As for the original post, part of the problem may be the age and condition of the player itself.

9. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Anchor Bay had a number of discs that were pressed with bad lacquer (Opera, Heathers SE, Frankenstein Created Woman, and The Witches are the ones I remember) and they've been very good about replacements. They have a page somewhere on their website about it. If you haven't heard back in 4 weeks, I'd contact them again. Those are the only discs in my (much too) large collection that played at first and then stopped playing (as opposed to ones that were just defective to begin with).

Another possible common culprit is the hubs that are too tight; quite a few people stopped being able to play the first disc of Gladiator. On close inspection may of them found tiny cracks in the center ring of the DVD, probably from the hubs being too tight.

10. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Only one in my collection has died. Gladiator, after only watching it 1 time too. The 2nd time I tried watching it I got the "No disk" error on all of my players.

11. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I agree with Simon Basso's attitude. Poor quality control or poor standards, whether of disks or players, creating too many poor-playing or deteriorating disks, is not acceptable.

And I must add to Thomas T's comment on Anchor Bay. The AB site is hard to navigate, and the only positive response I ever got from them was regarding the Wicker Man. I once got promise of feedback on another disk, but it didn't come, and recently I had a farcical request to submit a report on some recent problem disks, but as the form the site provided did not have a point to enter my e-mail address, I can't be surprised at the lack of response.

Right now there are several threads in the Music forum on defective SACDs, and the interesting thing is that they relate mostly to pressings by Crest, which was involved with many of the Anchor Bay DVDs.

12. chris_clem

chris_clem Second Unit

Hi!

Forgive me if this has been discussed in a previous thread but I have a few questions regarding dvd rot. Does anyone know what type of environment accelerates or decelerates it? (i.e. humid vs arid, cold vs hot, etc...) How do you store your dvds to minimize this (rather scary) phenomenon? And lastly, does this mean that *ALL* dvds are expected to have a shelf life falling far short of what we all initially thought? [​IMG] (Some one pointed out the longevity of his cd collection and I think it shouldn't be unreasonable for us consumers to expect our dvds to last AT LEAST as long!)

I'm getting very disconcerted by this issuue.... [​IMG]

13. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Got almost 1,000 DVD's and have watched the ones that have been mentioned here (Contact, Matrix) which I have had for 4 years and have had no problem at all...

14. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    I for one have never had a DVD rot problem...but then again I do have a small collection. But, I have a copy of Gladiator that I recived as a gift ever since its release that plays to this day on my 99' Sony DVP-S330

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

16. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

when was the last time a forum leader, set up a Q&A or chat session with an industry leader....regarding these important issues? ever? delamination and whatever other quality control issues...need to be talked about and solved. does anyone here on the forum, whos in charge, care? dvds lasting 50 to 300 years? please. we need to change the lifespan of discs in the facts section. I think it's misleading. give me a little less quality on a single layered dvd anytime. if we could only back-up our personal collections.

17. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

I've only had one disc (of more than 700, some dating back to '97) go bad:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=147109

But it isn't DVD rot, as explained in that thread. Ugh. I'm still puzzled by this, and remain lo to buy it again, as at some point I may go region free (couldn't quite do it yet with the major new classic announcements in Region 1, but one day, in a slow month), and the UK edition reportedly contains a commentary in addition to what we Region 1ers have.

Anyway, one disc isn't a bad record (and my early WAMO titles, including the dual-layered L.A. Confidential, bought the week it was released, still play like a charm, thankfully), particularly given the rampant laser rot I've battled on laserdisc over the years, but I'd love to get to the bottom of the problem. And yes, if I don't go region free by the end of the year, I may just buy the blessed thing again here in the states (particularly if Warner's delivers Hamlet in early 2004, as rumored).