Replacing DVD player on ISF calibrated TV change look?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jorossy, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Jorossy

Jorossy Stunt Coordinator

I had my JVC tv isf calibrated when I had a panasonic a120u dvd player connected to it. I recently had to replace it with a panasonic rp-32k. I have noticed a little increase in the contrast and the blacks are a slightly darker than they used to be. I put in my copy of Video Essentials (which was purchased before the isf guy came out) and the contrast and brightness test signals looked fine to me.

Has anyone gone through this before? Is this player just giving out a better picture? Is it just my eyes? Do I need new glasses? Am I crasy? And most important: Is this thread in the right place?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Changing DVD players will affect the grayscale somewhat. Usually a little, but sometimes a lot.

I tell clients to make sure they have a keeper of a player when I arrive. They are not to be on verge of buying another player ...

Grayscale on the TV is done accounting for the idiosyncracies of each player. Change the player ...
    stuff may have to be redone again to match the new player.

Regards

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Also, the newer Pannys output 0 IRE as the lowest black when using component outs and are not selectable (whereas you can choose 0 or 7.5 if you're using S-video or composite). If your old player used 7.5 IRE (NTSC broadcast standard), then this could account for the difference. Just an idea...

4. Jorossy

Jorossy Stunt Coordinator

My rp32k does have 'darker (0 IRE)' and 'lighter (7.5 IRE)' options; it it currently set on 0 IRE. Also the A120 that was replaced had this too and was on the darker setting when the tv was calibrated.

It's not really a bother. When John Gannon(spelling ?)--the same one who used to calibrate "Guide to Home Theater" mag's tv's--came to calibrate my JVC, he showed me the 'mini movie' of video based and filmed based images and pointed out the girders under the bridge were just visible enough to make out detail. He said that that's how it should be. With this new player, there is no change in how I see the girders. Strange.

Then again, I can't really remember how the tv looked right after calibration. It could have look the way it is now, and the old dvd player was having some video difficulties right before it died.