Replacing Denon AVR3300 and Sony DVP S7700

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichB, Feb 26, 2003.

1. RichB

RichB Extra

My Receiver and DVD player recently went on the fritz. I had a Denon AVR 3300 and Sony DVP S7700. I brought them into Good Guys repair, but they want $399 to repair the DVD player and tell me the Denon is beyond repair due to a power surge. I was never that crazy about the Sony DVD player which was quite expensive (Over $800 I believe). I always felt like the picture was a bit soft and I liked my original Panasonic DVD player (which died several years ago but only cost like $199). The Denon I liked. The bottom line is that I don't have as much money now and am looking to replace both for a total somewhere in the $1000-1500 range. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. RichB

RichB Extra

Anyone? There must be some others that have replaced these models and are happy with their decisions.....

3. Mike.Thompson

Try auditioning the avr-3803, it is said to be a great receiver and a bit more power than your 3300. you could pair this with the dvd-1600 and have a matching pair for around $1300 or so, possibly cheaper. ($400 for the dvd player, and $900 for the receiver) check these out, both very rock solid and highly reviewed.

4. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Rich- You enjoyed your Denon 3300 so I would replace it with another Denon. DVD players are cheap now days. I think I would shop for price among the major brands as any will serve the need nicely. Unfortunatly, there is no way that I hnow of to judge reliability among DVDP's. Possibly look for a model that has been on the market for the past year and has few complaints logged against it. Best of luck, Jack

5. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

I agree. If you liked your 3300, you will probably like the 3803, maybe even more so.

... Greg (Denon 3300 owner - eventually a 3803 or 3804 owner, since it looks like my 3300 is breaking too! Arrrgghhh!)