Replacing blown tweeters?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew S, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

I was offered a pair of older paradigm speakers with blown tweeters for $30. I don't know what model they are, but the guy said they were older (10-12 years) and that everything worked fine except for the blown tweeters. I haven't seen them (I placed an ad looking for paradigm speakers in hopes of finding a deal I missed out on last year) Is there any way to possibly replace the blown tweeters? I'm highly doubting it, but hell for $30, I figured I'd ask anyway.
    Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

When I blew my tweeter on an old Boston Acoustic...let's see...13 year old speaker, I called them and ordered a replacement tweeter. It cost me $50.00, but I still have those speakers playing sweetly as ever. Give the company a call and see what they say. Let's see...$30 for the speaker and $50 for the tweeter- might not be worth it, though. I know there are other places to order tweeters for less but I don't know if timbre matching with the woofer would become an issue- I would imagine it would. Good luck!

3. Scott Falkler

Scott Falkler Second Unit

My local Paradigm dealer had replacements for each series MKIII's and V1/2/3
    I got the tweeter replaced in my CC370 free.

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd beware as this speaker might of been owned by a "not too careful owner". The looks of the speakers might match the quality of the current tweeters in them so buyer beware! I'd at least ask the guy for some pics to be on the safe side.

5. Paul cbc

Paul cbc Stunt Coordinator

Andrew,

About 10 yrs ago I had a blown(actually frozen) woofer in one of my Paradigm Export monitors. I think it cost around $60 to replace this. Ordered through my local paradigm dealer. Find out the model and serial #'s from the seller. Contact a paradigm dealer and see what it would cost. Definitely buyer beware as an above post has mentioned, but with new tweeters, and provided the cabinet is not damaged or compromised it could work out nicely for you.

Good Luck!
    paul

6. Andrew S

I'm still a little bit weary about this guy, when I ask what model speakers they are he says he doesn't know, all he knows is that they're paradigm and they're about 30" tall. Still, it's a local sale, so I wouldn't be buying blind, I'd at least see them before I made a decision.
    Thanks for the replies,
    Andrew

7. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

Man, you could blow 30 bucks on a bad dinner..I say go for it. Worst case is you have a nice DIY project for 30 bucks. On the other hand i called Monitor Audio once to order a replacement tweeter, so i could build a DIY center channel and i wanted timbre match...they wanted $125 bucks plus tax and shipping for it. I bought a $25 dollar vifa tweeter and it sounds GREAT.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14993

8. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Andrew, there are a lot of people out there who don't know what model speakers they have, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. On the other hand, if you have a bad feeling about this guy- follow your gut and don't make the sale. Since you sound like you aren't really sure about him, then the local sale should be fine (bring a friend), and see what you think for yourself. I'm with Tim on this one, you may end up getting some tweeters at partsexpress.com or something like that for very little money and have yourself a very nice speaker in the end. Installing a tweeter is very simple. But make sure to really check out the woofer for any pin holes before you say yes. Take your time looking at the speaker-don't rush through the inspection. Remember- it's your money, and you wish you had more [​IMG]

9. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Andrew,

Since you won't be buying "blind" I wouldn't be too worried.
    I would go and look at the speakers check thier condition
    throughly and ask the man to give you a few days to check
    with Paradigm on replacement tweeter drivers.

I disagree with Rob about being a "careful" owner. I blew
    the tweeters in my AR9's and I am one of the most careful
    people out there, I take care of my stuff. But it doesn't
    take much to wipe out a tweeter at all. So they may be in
    perfect cosmetic shape with just blown drivers and you might
    wind up with the deal of a lifetime...

And since you will get to "see" them that makes all the
    difference in the world IMHO.

10. Andrew S

Just got another email from him, he found the model number and they're Paradigm 9se (thanks for the link, Tim). Now my only concern is that the ebay link said they were 4 ohm, and I don't think my receiver can handle 4 ohm (Panasonic SA-HE70). Oh well, I'll figure it out.
    Thanks again for all the responses,
    Andrew

11. Richard Cook

Richard Cook Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys

I just had to reply as everyone must know my experience with blown tweeters by now :b

Anyway if Paradigm are as helpful as Tannoy were to me you'll soon be listening to fine speakers again. Just watch the volume knob and those 5.1 peaks:wink:

Take care

12. Andrew S

Checked out the speakers tonight.. no good... all the drivers were missing their dustcaps, cabinets were all banged up, etc.
    Oh well.. looks like I'll just save up for some titans and start from there.
    Andrew

13. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Andrew,

Sorry they were in such poor condition. This is one of
    those times like mentioned above that they were owned by
    a non careful owner. It was local so no harm no foul, you
    really never know sometimes there are great deals to be had.

You will find something!