Replacing blown tweeters. Advice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

OK, I'm posting in the scary advanced section for the first time, so don't get too technical and scary or I'll run away screaming.
    I am planning to replace the blown tweeter in my old studio monitors, which of course means replacing them in both speakers. I don't have specific speaker measurements or info (I'm going to get them out of my storage space today), but is there any kind of general info anyone can give me about replacing tweeters? I have never done anything like this.
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!

2. Chris_Brunhaver

What model of studio monitors are they? Many times you can get direct replacements from the manufacturor though they can be pretty expensive for what they are. Without any measurement equipment and desire to rework the existing crossover that may be the best route. If they are actively crossed over then it may be easier to use another driver because the crossover point are not based on the driver's impedence. You would just need to find a driver with a similar sensitivity and bandwidth.
    -Chris

3. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Never got to the storage space, so I still don't have any specifics.
    They are Sony bookshelves, about 8 years old, but they sound better than anything I have heard in double their price range lately. I have music practice at church tonight, so now I won't get to them until Friday.

4. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

Not knowing anything about the speaker makes it a little difficult. With test equipment it would be easy. First is it a 4 or 8 ohm tweeter? Does it have a L-Pad for controlling the ouput? Without know anything about it, I would select a tweeter of about 91db that has a low resonance FS. You then could be more certain that the crossover frequency will be OK. You can use an L-pad to match the gain of the tweeter to the other drivers. I have replaced many blown ribbon tweeters with Vifa drivers just this way.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Andy's using a set of mass market Sony bookshelf speakers as studio monitors. I was planning on replacing the tweeters which look like silk dome units with something similar from Radio Shack.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

6. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Try www.speakerhole.com
    They have a generic horn there for like $35 that I see it alot of studio moniters
    Nathan
    ------------------
    "Fascinating Captian"
    --Spock
    Visit www.speedemenu.com