1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing B&W's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by dany, May 7, 2008.

1. dany

dany Supporting Actor

D
    I'm thinking of upgrading my 1999 B&W 603's and 601's & CC6 center. I'd like a few suggestions to research. One problem is i have to have the center no bigger then the CC6 because it is in a cabinet. I wouldn't mind going with same bookshelfs for the fronts and surrounds but don't have a problem with towers for mains either.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Don't do it.

I have 602s of that vintage and I can't think of anything beyond three times the price of what they cost when new which would sound better.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Founder, Professional Video Alliance
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I have a 5.2 Atlantic Technology 8200e system with 2 subs and stands for all. This system is kick $$$ and flat down to 20 Hz.

Somebody is currently selling this same system in the For Sale area, all new stock in sealed box. Retailing for $14K and selling for $5995.

:)

4. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Why change for change sake? I have 601s from that era that I still use as my surrounds.

5. dany

dany Supporting Actor

D
    Well i just changed my receiver, DVD player, TV, Directv receiver and sub and i have the money now so it just crossed my mind i might want to finish it off.

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    In my secondary basement system I have B&W P6s. Many moons ago they were in the main system with a CC6 (I also used it in the bedroom system for a bit). I ended up with a couple of different CDM center channels (I use one for the front and one for the rear center), one I bought and one I traded old stuff for. I didn't see a need to completely start over as I was happy with the sound and the fact they are relatively easy to drive with a receiver. So it depends on whether you are happy with them or not. You can always also look at the used market (e.g. see what is for sale locally in your area on Audiogon or Craigslist) for other B&Ws that might be a good match.