Replacing all interconnects - Where?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by David Nolan, Feb 16, 2004.

1. David Nolan

David Nolan Stunt Coordinator

hi all,

i am currently looking to replace ALL of my interconnects with new, better cables. at the moment, most are stock cables with a few gold-plated radio shack cables thrown in. i have compiled a list of exaactly what is needed, and have looked at Accessories For Less, Blue Jeans, Better Cables, Etc. I want to upgrade, but most of these places want for 1 cable wat i had intended to spend on all. well, that may be an exageration. anyway, i am looking for reccomendations as to where to buy all of my interconnects for a reasonable price. i should mention that i am a bit anal-retentive when it comes to them all being the same length and brand. anyway, here's what i am looking for:

10 r/l audio 3ft.
    2 optical 3ft.
    2 digital coax 3ft.
    2 component video 3ft.
    1 component video 25 ft.
    1 s-video 3ft.
    1 s-video 25ft.
    1 composite video 3ft.
    1 composite video 25ft.

thanks

david

2. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

you have already looked at the best budget cable outlets. you could do DIY since you would be making so many...

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well you can head over to www.svideo.com and probably find most of what you're looking for over there. Video cables can be used as digital without any problems. For the toslink, this place has a 1 meter for $15 and get this, it's glass. No it won't sound any different than plastic, but it's a fairly competitive price.
    Try emailing svideo with your needs and have them give you a quotation then if you want, we can discuss any of their recommendatios to see if there's a potential shortcoming. If you need even less expensive, post back.

4. David Nolan

i don't know if i trust myself to make my own cables - although it is intriguing. how and where would one go about obtaining the neccessary parts to do this?

thanks

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

David, making your own single conductor coax cables (everything on your list other than Svideo and optical digital) isn't that hard but how much you spend depends on the route you take. I use the Canare tools which were a bit expensive but I had a lot of coax F-connector patch cables to make when I redid the cable wiring for the first floor and basement of my house. I essentially followed the howto on this page here but there are others I'm sure

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/DIYCable.htm

I've used the Canare L-5CFB cable to make coax patch cables for cable/satellite as well as component video cables. I'm planning on making L/R analog audio and composite video at some point with the extra bulk Canare cable I have. Everything I've made has worked fine. I don't use any of the "fancier" extras like the sleeves and heatshrink. For labeling, I've used colored electrical tape available at Radio Shack.

I would say that unless you want to do it as part of your hobby or just like the idea of being able to make a custom length cable when you need it, that you probably just want to buy them from one of the online vendors that has already been mentioned since the up front expense can be a lot.

cheers,

--tom

6. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I used BDCable . Their prices are reasonable for the product and their customer service is the best. They helped recommend a less expensive cable that still meet the needs of my system.

If you dont see something on their site just e-mail them and ask for it.

Good luck.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you are looking for well-made cables at a budget price, check out the Dayton brand interconnects available at www.partsexpress.com .

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I have written to some of the cable sites about a cable that would provide a long Component, SVideo and Composite wire to a projector.

Some of them will:

- Wire up a thick component cable
    - Use Mini-RG59 component cable (3 conductor) and use 2 of the wires for a SVideo jack and the third wire for Composite.

9. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Bob, I can do 2 out of 3 with a 5 coax bundle for in wall construction or fully decorated. The bundle to my knowledge is not UL wall rated. So, it would be up to the individual to decide whether to put it in the wall or not. I wouldn't tell him to, or not to. My thought is, if the cable is being burned, a person has greater problems than that.

Does anyone actually use composite now? I'm not really sure what it would be these days, unless you have some really old gear. Whatever it is, it wouldn't look to good on most projectors with composite.

It will be a cool cable, and for the record, you didn't email me. [​IMG] In fact, just quoted one of those today to a guy that will likely buy one soon, so I will shoot photos of it at that time. I am not currently planning on building one until someone wants one since required lengths can vary so much. It would cost somewhat less than the individual cables. If that's to much information here, delete the post, no problem.

As far as making your own, analog audio and compositie and component video even speaker cables doable, however S-video is usually best left to the pros. It's not the easiest cable in the world to build. But hey, if you can do it, go for it.

Lex

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I agree with this. Bloody small connectors.. [​IMG]

11. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Yes Laserdisc video looks better ot me via composite than S-vid or upconverted Component thru a receiver.

12. David Nolan

the composite is indeed for my laserdisc player. and these cables are just running along the baseboard to the tv - no inwall. i've checked out several of the recommendations and have, i think, found everything i need - no one dealer had it all. or at least, no one dealer had the best deal on every cable. thanks for all the help.

david

13. Rob Jr

Rob Jr Auditioning

I bought all of my cables from Blue Jeans Cables, except for the fiber. Their cables and customer service are second to none.