What's new

Replacing a Sony 32 inch HDTV CRT? (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Came back from a day trip to a Black CRT, sound but no picture.
Tried the usual 15 minute reset etc without a good result.
Anyone look at CRT replacement costs vs a new one?
Seems like the way costs have fallen a new one might be cheaper
Grant

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Well it lives!
Kind of....
Turned it on again and BINGO perfect but then a couple days later it did it again and came back.
Seems like a faulty switch possibly and not the crt.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Grant

karl_burns

Stunt Coordinator
I had something similar, but the TV would cut out completely. It was due to rust/dust on the ray guns in the rear of the tube. I had to pay the guy $350 to do the following:
Remove rear plastic cover (lots of screws).
Unplug the ray gun on the vertex of the tube. (small piece about the size of your fist)
There will be small metal points, almost like pins, pointing to the front of the tv.
Use sandpaper to remove any dust/rust.
Replace, and power on.

I have the Sony 40XBR700.

Regards,
Karl

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
$350. -- Ouch!

Often it is not the CRT itself that is defective, even if the screen is completely dark. If ,when the TV is turned on, there is an orangish glow in the neck of the CRT, chances are the CRT itself is not defective, although no orangeish glow does not instantly prove the CRT is defective.

The high cost of labor together with the desire to upgrade results in millions of TV sets being discarded with little or no attempt to service them.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks but I doubt it's connected to the CRT. It seems as though heat is the problem. It turns on fine when it is 'cold ' (i.e. over night or a few hours off).
When you turn it off and try to turn it back on within an hour or so; thats when the CRT doesn't come back on. Seems like a reley problem if they have one for the video portion.
Right now I just don't turn it off until I go to bed (except when I forget like now DDDOOOHHHH!!!)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Grant,

your in SF right? Email my partner Chuck Williams at [email protected] he will be able to take care of you (for a price).

Best wishes

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks