What's new

Replacing a Reciever/Amp (1 Viewer)

Valyndiir

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
Hi, I don't know what to look for in a receiver and my Sony STR-DE1075 got fried by lightning. This is an Amp/Receiver in one right?

5.1 set up, probably going to stick with 5.1, but if there are any suggestions, for 6.1/7.2 or whatever the newer systems are, that would be helpful.

Speakers are all 8 ohm Cambridge Soundworks:

2 "Tower II" Front left and front right
1 "CenterStage" center speaker
2 "TheSurround5.1 multipole surround speakers" rear right and rear left
1 "BaseCubeS10" 10" subwoofer

The speakers don't display any other information.

My Father set up the wiring, so I don't know what it is for sure, but it is 0 gauge and really expensive. Also, I have ordered a Samsung S6187W HDTV and want the best results from it. Receiver needs to be able to convert S-Video/analog etc... to component signal.

I was looking at this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1lQAmVB...p?i=580TXS604B

Any help would be very appreciated and if anyone needs any more information let me know I will be happy to try and find it!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No offense, but 0 AWG wire would be VERY large....and EXTREME ULTRA overkill for ANY setup, especially one powered by a Sony DE receiver.

I would advise checking places other than Crutchfield, but they are a good place to see/compare features for brands they carry.

That Onkyo should do fine with those speakers, though for the tower IIs, I'd say you might want a bit more power on the front end, maybe at least step up to the 704.

Valyndiir

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
Originally, system was much larger. Back in 1990-94 it was ~$40K worth of equipment and he took it all with him leaving the wire behind and I bought the smaller Cambridge SW package with a Sony reciever just to have something decent. The wire is massive, I suppose it could be 2 though, that system was absolutely incredible. It put the local Cinemark theatres to shame, would drive you out of the house and wake the entire block.

Valyndiir

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
Another question,

I will point out my lack in knowledge in the where-abouts of the instruction manual, and blatant noobiness, of this question so that it may humor you before you vomit all over yourself in disgust at the presence of yet another amateur! ^_^

The Tower IIs have 2 sets of input connectors, one above the other, only one set is in use, what does other set power and do I need to be using these??

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can disconnect the high/mid from the bass portion of the speaker by disconnecting the jumper between the two sets of posts and power each of them separately with dedicated amp channels. This allows you to push more power to each portion of the speaker; the intent being for greater clarity, dynamics and SPL -Sound Pressure Level (louder).

Don't worry, nobody will vomit on anyone around here unless you mention Bose cubes :D

Your Dad must have had an insane setup to use wire like that...

Valyndiir

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
The system was really strange. It had these tall tower-like speakers encased in a fabric box. There were 4 of these, along with 6 other non-sub speakers, and there seemed to be several speakers in each, but it has been so long I cannot remember the exact details. They were maybe 5 to 5 1/2" tall, maybe taller, I was a lot shorter then. I do remember the strangest part of them was a small box on top of each speaker with two metal plates inset to become a V.(like an open book standing up) And the metal had some sort of texture, like crevices running down to the crease in the V and there were air-tubes in different parts of the speaker housing(s) like you might see on a subwoofer. I also remember him talking about some rubber-like synthetic coils somewhere in them that he had to replace. There were 4 subwoofer boxes 1 of which was about the size of a coffee table but taller. I remember at one point it was malfunctioning and there was some sort of motor in it that made the speaker plate(or whatever) move up and down. There were 4 or 5 different amps and 3 or 4 other things hooked up to them. There was a receiver. I think he said one was a decoder, but they were all interconnected. I could be wrong about some of this, it has been about 10 years. Regardless it sounded nice.

Eh, I have Bose in my 350z... They came with it, should I replace them? :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshuagilbreath