Replacing a motherboard question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by gregstaten, Dec 30, 2001.

1. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

I'm building a new HTPC and, after budgeting everything, I realized I can probably replace the motherboard on my desktop PIII 600 system as well.

Assuming I do replace the mobo (probably with a screaming i850 P4), will I need to reinstall Windows 2000? Are motherboards plug and play as it were?

Thanks!

-greg

2. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Windows is stored on your HDD...but the motherboard has the BIOS...you will run into some initial issues upon the first turn-on...it won't know who anybody is (HDD, RAM, VIDEOCard, etc.). You would be better off with a fresh installation...

TK

3. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    You should be fine replacing the motherboard as is. You will probably just need to tweak the settings in your BIOS to match your system. I've changed motherboards on my computer a couple times without problem under Win9x. I'm pretty sure you'd be ok in 2k, since it's way more hardware-change friendly than previous versions of NT.

That being said, as always when upgrading anything, you should do a backup first, because you never know what could go wrong.

4. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

your best bet for maximum performance and stability is to always do a clean install of the OS whenever you change motherboards. period.

5. James St

James St Supporting Actor

I swapped out my mobo in August with no problems at all. You will probably want to download the latest drivers for whatever chipset your mobo is using though.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Clean install, clean install, clean install.

But if you want to give it a try, delete the devices from Device Manager, reboot on your new system and hope that W2K redetects all the hardware. No guarantees that it'll work.

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

A clean install is much less aghravating. I haven't done it on 2k, but with the other editions this is what happens.

You boot up and the system sees that you've a made a change, so it fixes them, or so it thinks. About 2 days later, the whole program crashes.

What you could do is to do a reinstall after you boot up. With the 2k disk you should be ok.

Glenn