Replacing a Hoover vacuum motor..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    My parents Hoover Windtunnel upright (U5264-930 Turbopower 4500) doesn't suck. Somehow the impellor stopped working due to a jam in the tube that leads to the bag. All the crap got jammed up to the impellor and then I think the motor blew out. I took apart the whole thing to it's motor, plugged the motor in, turned on the switch and sparks flew, the impellor wasn't spinning and it smelled like burning. However the belt cam was spinning and my father confirmed that the roller works but the garbage wouldn't reach the bag because the impellor is dead. So now, I have the vacuum motor out and was wondering if any experienced vacuum repairperson out there can tell me how much a new vacuum motor/assembly would run and if any good places online to check for parts.

If anybody who knows hoover can tell me if it's worth it, that would be great. The vacuum isn't that old, I gather about 2/3 years but I think with the new carpet in my father's new house and a band getting stuck in the tube, I think the new carpet fibers got jammed and it reached down to the impellors which eventuallly burned out the motor so I think the vacuum is good, just bad luck on our part. I'm gonna run down to an authorized repair center tomorrow to ask some expert opinion and get an estimate on the cost of the part, but just curious if anybody has done this before...

Jay

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Well guys and the 9 people who looked at this thread so far (8 times me and one other person who's name is Hoover [​IMG] ),
    I biked to a vacuum place on the way home last night and the expert there confirmed with me that the motor is blown so I got a new one on the spot for $60... Guess not bad since the vacuum is less than 3 years old and the new price would retail for $188 or about $140 on sale. It's not the vacuum's fault since I think somehow a clasping rubber o-ring got dislodged and stuck in the tube between the impellor and the bag which blocked all the crap down to the impellor. The impellor got overloaded and the motor blew.
    But now I put it back together last night and all is well again in the land of Hoover. (a division of Maytag which I didn't know)
    Jay