What's new

? replacing a fuse in Laserdisc player (1 Viewer)

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
I should have asked that the person power it up so I knew it worked before I got home late last night. Anyway I am borrowing a Pioneer CLD-S104 Laserdisc player. Just now I went to plug it in and no power. I removed the cover carefully and see the fuse (2amp/125 Volt) is blown (glass is all black!) I'm wonder if it may not even work now if I replaced the fuse with the old fuse looking so bad! I checked at the local Radio Shack for the replacement and all they have is a 2amp/250 volt fuse. The Radio Shack clerk says I can substitute a 2amp/250 volt for the original 2amp/125 volt. I'm not sure that is okay. Anyone have a different viewpoint?

I'm wondering if the powercord has a short in it somewhere though...

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
If there were a short in the power cord, the current would never have gotten to the fuse. I seem to recall this very issue coming up some time back, either here or in alt.video.laserdisc — there's some kind of easy-to-fix flaw that causes this.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
ChristopherDAC,

Thank you for the response!

I'm not sure what to fix. I wanted to sit down today and watch a couple discs with my uncle and the player doesn't work. How easy of a fix could this be?

I mentioned that the fuse is blown already, is the 2amp/250 volt replacement fuse workable from Radio Shack? I'd hoped to replace with the same specs, but can't seem to find the same fuse around town.

I'll try to do a search as you mentioned through alt.video.laserdisc

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
ChristopherDAC,

Thank you kindly for your help! I was able to do a search and discovered inside the Laserdisc player a arc suppression diode near the fuse that shorted out and was causing the fuse to blow out. I followed the instructions to remove it and now the Laserdisc player operates. Thank you again for your assistance. I would never have found the information without help from you.

Ibicus

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Ferrell
Hi guys not sure if anyone is still here....I have a Pioneer CLD-59...Had it for years, and the fuse blew out. Should I order the 2A-125v or should I just replace with the 2A-250v? OR would this Arc supressor thingy fix work for me? Lemme know, and where can i find this info did a search and can't find anything on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks