? replacing a fuse in Laserdisc player

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
I should have asked that the person power it up so I knew it worked before I got home late last night. Anyway I am borrowing a Pioneer CLD-S104 Laserdisc player. Just now I went to plug it in and no power. I removed the cover carefully and see the fuse (2amp/125 Volt) is blown (glass is all black!) I'm wonder if it may not even work now if I replaced the fuse with the old fuse looking so bad! I checked at the local Radio Shack for the replacement and all they have is a 2amp/250 volt fuse. The Radio Shack clerk says I can substitute a 2amp/250 volt for the original 2amp/125 volt. I'm not sure that is okay. Anyone have a different viewpoint?

I'm wondering if the powercord has a short in it somewhere though...

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
If there were a short in the power cord, the current would never have gotten to the fuse. I seem to recall this very issue coming up some time back, either here or in alt.video.laserdisc — there's some kind of easy-to-fix flaw that causes this.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
ChristopherDAC,

Thank you for the response!

I'm not sure what to fix. I wanted to sit down today and watch a couple discs with my uncle and the player doesn't work. How easy of a fix could this be?

I mentioned that the fuse is blown already, is the 2amp/250 volt replacement fuse workable from Radio Shack? I'd hoped to replace with the same specs, but can't seem to find the same fuse around town.

I'll try to do a search as you mentioned through alt.video.laserdisc

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
ChristopherDAC,

Thank you kindly for your help! I was able to do a search and discovered inside the Laserdisc player a arc suppression diode near the fuse that shorted out and was causing the fuse to blow out. I followed the instructions to remove it and now the Laserdisc player operates. Thank you again for your assistance. I would never have found the information without help from you.

Ibicus

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Ferrell
Hi guys not sure if anyone is still here....I have a Pioneer CLD-59...Had it for years, and the fuse blew out. Should I order the 2A-125v or should I just replace with the 2A-250v? OR would this Arc supressor thingy fix work for me? Lemme know, and where can i find this info did a search and can't find anything on it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgiastevenson