Replacing a broken woofer in a speaker

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by BryanMM, Jul 5, 2004.

1. BryanMM

BryanMM Extra

I'm looking to buy a replacement 15" woofer, for one that's apparently broken, in one of my speakers. What are some good ones that I can buy online for a reasonable price. The speakers are 200watts and are made by DBX.

I've seen several sites that cater to the do-it-yourself or speaker building people, that have separate parts, but I don't know which one of those are good. I would buy a new speaker, but this one has a pair to it and I don't have the money either.

Thanks

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

BryanMM.

There are many attributes to a speaker beyond size. Impedance, sensitivity, compliance and resonant frequency are but a few. You need to get an exact replacement or at least one very close in order to match the other drivers in it as well your other speaker.

Have you tried doing a search for a DBX dealer that can maybe get you the exact replacement?

You mention that the woofer "is apparently broken". Is it physically torn or does it sound bad or not at all.

Make sure it is the driver and not the crossover or something as simple as a defective connection.

3. BryanMM

BryanMM Extra

I'll take it to a repair shop, but what it's doing is when I put on bassier material, it starts making this mid pitched clapping sound inside (almost a fart). It's coming directly from the woofer if you put your head near the cabinet.

4. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Bryan,

Does the manufacturer of your speakers supply replacement woofers? Is there any information such as a part number on the broken woofer that would help you locate a replacement otherwise?

5. HowardLi

HowardLi Extra

Sounds like the woofer's voice coils are bottoming out, or are at least rubbing against the pole faces.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Brian, as Howard mentioned, it sounds like the real problem is that you’re overdriving the woofer and it’s bottoming out. If you have the bass control cranked high, or a low band of an equalizer, and/or if you’re playing it at extreme volumes, that’s most likely the problem.

If the noise goes away when you reduce the volume, that means the woofer is not bad. If it was bad, it would make the noise all the time, at any volume setting.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. BryanMM

BryanMM Extra

The volumes are normal, and as I said, I have another speaker the same kind as this one. It's identical and it doesn't make the same sound as this one on the certain music material.