What's new

Replacent for the ONKYO SR600 (1 Viewer)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
HI,

Just want to thank you first, because I have put a bunch of threads, and many of you have answer me. I have learn a lot in three days.

Well this is my latest, as some of you know I was going to pair a ONKYO SR600 with an JBL NPS1 II and a PB12. But I have read good and bad things with the watts in the onkyo, so I have search for a different reciever, maybe you can suggest me which for you are good and which I shouldnt even consider. The price range that I'm looking is $300-600

1)Denon AVR-2802
2)Harman/Kardon AVR125 or the AVR225 when available.
3)Pioneer VSX-D811S
4)Yamaha HTR-5560
5)Sony STR-DE985
6)Or go with the ONKYO SR600

Well if you have any other suggestion please let me know.

Thanks for any replies,
Pablo Abularach

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I'm about to get the 2802 for my bedroom setup. It gets my vote.:emoji_thumbsup: I also have the 3802 for my main setup.
You really should try listening to each receiver with your speakers, beacause that's what matters the most.
Michael

Norman L

Second Unit
Pablo,
The Denon 2802 is in a class above the others. It's MSRP is $799. If you can get it for a fair price that is my suggestion.
2802 is in the class of the Yamaha 1200, Onkyo 700, HK 520.

As far as features, the 2802 has phono input, preouts, 74W while running 5-channels, preout for another room beside speaker B to another room, LFE adjustments seperate from the setup.

HK 125,225 no preouts.
Onkyo 600, no preouts, 34W 5-channels running.
Pioneer 811S, high THD .2% but I think not very important?
Yamaha 5560 - No discrete DTS 6.1 as I was told?

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
Pablo,
I just want to let you know that I have the Onkyo 600 with the first series of JBL NSP1 and a PB12 and I think it sounds great!! As far as the watts go, I find that it performs just fine with my speakers and is more than enough power for my family room. I just wanted to let you know of what someone thought who is completely happy with my decision to purchase the 600.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Well you can get the HK 320 for 499 new at JandR.com. I have it with NSP1 and it sounds great, very happy I purchased them. Works great for my budget.

The cheapest authorized dealer for the 520 I've seen is JandR.com for 650.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I will whole heartedly second the Marantz SR5200. Damn good receiver for the money, and of those listed, has the best 2ch music performance. H/Ks are probably the closest for music. The rest seem pretty good too, but I have not heard each and every one of them.

I would recommend you drop the Sony from your list. It simply does not stack up to the others listed.

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
I can agree with Christopher. I also have the 600 with NSP1 and N26 mains and a Sony WM40. Sounds awesome. With these speakers (or similar bookshelf systems) you won't notice the 34x5 issue everyone keeps talking about. Don't let that deter you. I say purchase everything you can and get it setup, then if that is the only reason you've changed your mind, visit CC and get the receiver and try it...I don't think you'll be disappointed. My room is about 20x20. Less than ideal shape, but it works and sounds fine (for me).

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Thanks a lot guys for the info and suggestions.

You are making me think again of ONKYO.

I went to friends house and heard the ONKYO 797, with a similar JBL and it sound it great, and someone told me that this one also had the problem with the RMS Watts, I don't know if it as severe as the SR600, but it move the speakers very easy. And with no distortion.

I'm more confuse now, I was domping the ONKYO SR600 because of the 30x4 issue, but now I don't know if I need so much power. Well, this hobbie as hard.

Well once again thanks for all your recomendations and information.

If there are more SR600 users, please tell me what do you think about it.

Thanks,
Pablo Abularach

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Are you ever going to add an external amp to your setup?

I'm asking this because the Onkyo does not have preouts that you can add an amp to later on. This is something to think about.

The receivers that have preouts would be Marantz 5200(all channels), Denon 1802(front soundstage), and I believe H/K 320 but not sure.

Hope this helps some...

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
The pre outs is not an issue for me.

I don't think this recievers will be upgraded in the future, the manucfatures are changing so fast that in a couple of years I will have to change it, and another thing this is for my bedroom, so I have 15x13 room. So I don't think I'll be putting more power into it.

The only things is that I need to know how good the ONKYO SR600 moves the NPS1 with a PB12 so I can forget the 30x6 issue and buy it.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
It does seem strange to put the Denon 2802 when the 1802 is the direct competition for the receivers listed. Would you shop an Acura TL against a Chevy Malibu and Ford Contour?

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I know the 2802 ins't a direct competition, but for the price range that I'm willing to spend (300-600) it enter the comparision.

Thanks the only reason, and you are right I cant compare those two. But by this you are telling me that the 2802 is the best way to go?

Thanks,
Abula

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
The 2802 much better than the Onkyo, I don't think thats a fair comparison. I would recommend the Denon if you can afford it.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I've owned Onkyo & Integra receivers. Now, i own a Denon 5803. If i were you, i'd get the Denon 2802. It has a warmer sound(if you like that). My buddy has my old Integra and a compliment of JBL HLS810's.... sounds too bright for my liking. The only problem i see with the 2802 (especially for a bedroom rig) is the lousy remotes that come with all Denon's. I've got the Atkis remote and it ain't that great. All in all, i like the sound of Denon over Onkyo. Either choice would be good for a bedroom rig.

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also happy with my Onkyo. I have large front speakers (old Infinitys with 10" woofer) along with typical rears and center. More than enough power for me in my 13' x 22' room. For $399, I think it's a good deal; the Denon 2802 certainly may be better, but it's also substantially more money. I don't think I'll ever want separate amps so I'm satisfied.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
by this you are telling me that the 2802 is the best way to go?
I haven't heard the 2802 or the 1802 so I can't make recommendations on it. What I am saying is that if you're going to consider the 2802 then you should also consider the 2802's competition so long as it meets your budget requirements. In Onkyo's line that would be the 696 or, if it's out, the 700. Not sure what Pioneer/HK/Sony/Yamaha have in this price range. But unless you absolutely must have the newest features, you should include the Outlaw 1050 as well.
In this way you can compare Acura's to Lexus's (Lexi?) and Honda's to Toyota's.

Norman L

Second Unit
I just returned from the Home Entertainment Show in NYC.

A Denon person advised me, after I questioned him about the new line, that the 1803 coming out in August will be like the 2802 but with more.
1803 will have 90 watts, 6.1, 2 center surround speakers, preouts for another room and I do not remember what else.

The 2803 and 3803 will not be out for 5 or 6 months.

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Pablo, I took my Onkyo 600 back and got the new Integra 5.3 for only a few more bucks. Im running Energy take 5.2s and so far I love this reciever. The remote is great (all backlit), it has gold connections everywhere, multiroom input... It seems stronger to me than the Onkyo as it is supposed to have a stronger power supply, and I feel its sound is more detailed and tight. I love it!

Mike

Norman L

Second Unit
I just returned from the lab.

Both were tested with 500Mv input and reasonable distortion levels .05-.2

The Yamaha 5560 tested with 6-channel stereo at 15volts =
28 watts/ch.

The Pioneer 811s tested with 6-channel stereo 25volts =
78 watts/ch. The distortion level increased rapidly, if the volume was increased past -6 on the dial with 0 being the maximum.

I do not know what that means in the real world of listening.

I hope this info is helpful, I am not a technical person, so I can not answer detailed questions.

Those that own the 811s, what level on the volume control do you listen? However, the problem I think is when the sound effects kick in, what is that level equel to on the control?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks