replacements for Vintage speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AndrewLevine, Jun 17, 2006.

1. AndrewLevine

AndrewLevine Stunt Coordinator

As a gift for my father I decided I would fix up his speakers he had since the 70's. They were custom made by Sound Research Labs, therefor I can't find any product info on it. My problem is that I checked partsexpress.com (the only place I could think of) for certain replacement speakers, however they never matched up. See below:

15" Woofer: no problem
    6" Midrange Driver: Nom 4w, Max 8w, 7.5 Ohms. (Can't find a driver below 30w)
    1" Tweeter: 30w, 8 Ohm (Can't find tweeter with required wattage)

My question: Does it matter about the speaker driver requirements as long as they all match eachother, or because I am using the original crossovers, do I have to find an equiv speaker driver.

Any help appreciated,
    Andrew Levine

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    The power handling won't matter as long as it is at least as high as the originals. What will matter a great deal is the impedance and sensitivity. You can certainly give it a go with what you found, but there is absolutely no telling if it will sound decent or (more likely) not blend even remotely properly.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Are they not working?

4. AndrewLevine

AndrewLevine Stunt Coordinator

neither tweeter or midrange is working. I tested to see if the crossovers still worked my taking an extra 8" drive ri had laying around the house and hooking it up. sound came out of both the midranges and vibrated slightly with each tweeter. From that I think the crossovers and woofers work fine.