What's new

Replacement/Universal Remote (1 Viewer)

Martin_N

Auditioning
Hello Everyone

I've just bought a 2nd hand 3M MP8670, but it did not come with a remote, and its causing me a world of problems, especially when I'm putting it on the ceiling.

So does anyone know where I can buy a replacement? or if not, a universal remote.

Thanks in advance.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
OneForAll remoted have a pretty good library built in, they may be the way to go. I use one in my home theater and I love it. Plus you can use the "JP1" computer hookup if you're willing to do some computer fun.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I'm a Harmony Remote user and it is the best universal remote that I owned. The price tag on the new Harmony 880 is $200+, but it's worth it.

Please check out the recent thread on the Harmony 880 .

Martin_N

Auditioning
Thanks for you're quick replies.

I was thinking about gettin one of the "OneForAll" remotes, but after a half hour talk with 2 greasy headed teenage imbeciles, who work in my electrical dealership, they insist that it will not work on a projector.

Does anyone currently use a "OneForAll" with their projector?

Thanks a lot!

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I'm using my One-For-All remotes on an InFocus SP4805 (with more functions than the original remote has available). A JP1 enabled remote can (with a little work) control almost anything that uses IR for control. What your dealership experts are getting at (probably without inderstanding the issue) is that there will be no built-in codes for your projector, but the odds are that most new products, of any kind, won't have built-in codes either or codes that are dramatically incomplete.

One-For-All offers "upgradeable" remotes, where you can send it in and they will add new codes. If they have already researched the model, they can add the code. If they haven't then they need your original remote to learn and copy first (a problem in your case). There is one 3M upgrade at JP1 which could get you started on adding a custom upgrade to a JP1 remote. Some of the upgrades can be done over the phone also.

The most famous (IMO) One-For-All remote is the URC8810 (and 8811) because it is a learning remote and has all the JP1 mod's out of the box. Avoid the JP1.1 and 1.2 for now since they haven't been hacked yet. The numbers are usually silk-screened near a grid under the battery cover. The URC6131 is my favorite but needs modifying first. Most people who are doing the JP1 "thing" have one learning remote for creating upgrades and a favorite "daily use" remote. JP1 has a short, steep learning curve but there are some real experts around to help out, but you will need to put some effort of your own into it.

JP1 requires a specific group of remotes, possibly the addition of a 6 pin header and a $2 EEPROM; and an interface cable (cheap parts) connected to the parallel port.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks