Replacement remote for old Sony TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vlad D, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I have an old Sony KV-19TS20 TV for which I have lost the remote. I bought an RCA universal remote but it can't access the menu. Does anyone know where I can order a replacement. Or the correct TV code for the remote, the one that the RCA manual provides doesn't work.

2. DougRogers

DougRogers Stunt Coordinator

Might try a Sony remote or go search at www.remotecentral.com You might find something there otherwise, try sending Sony an email.
    Doug

3. Hector M

Hector M Extra

4. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

If everything else fails, Sony Service Sales will charge you an arm and a leg, but will sell you a remote. Just enter your TV model and search. The price? $69.95 + tax (if applicable) + S/H [​IMG]

5. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

The older Sonys have a different menu system and only one Sony (costly) remote will activate them. The original remote has not been available for years so the $70 remote is the only one they have left that will do the menu , setup , and adjustments correctly.
    I don't know about their new models but Universal Electronics "One For All" brand (oneforall.com) offers advanced functions that I have been able to use to access the menu on that TV from a $10 remote. You set the main code then go to the website (or email) (used to have 800 #) and get advanced codes for the particular TV in question.

6. Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson Stunt Coordinator

I requested some specific codes from One For All twice in the last 3 months. I don't even get a response of any kind. Do they still provide these codes? I know that they used to have a monitored forum that was great but they changed business strategy (from what I heard) and closed the forum. I believe they were going to only start making remotes for OEM and not sell under the one for all brand as in the past. Has anyone gotten a response from them? Is there a phone #? I have a URC-8800.

Thanks

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Ebay has tons of remotes, cheap too. Check to see if your model is being sold.

8. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Thanks guys for all the responses. I tried a Sony remote from a newer TV and it didn't access the menu. I'm not thrilled about spending $70 for an old Sony remote, especially for a TV that I don't use much since it's in a guest bedroom. I think I'll check out Ebay.

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have been very lucky with ebay lately. I was looking for a universal remote to control everything and had my mind set on the HTM MX-500 but it was about $130. Still kind of expensive for a remote that I won't take full advantage of. So I kept my eye out for Yamaha remotes for the higher end receivers. I have a mid end yamaha and wanted a remote with learning capability so I looked on ebay and won a Rav220(the remote that comes with the RXV1) for $25. To get the remote from Yamaha would cost $150.
    So keep your eyes open and give ebay a shot, you could score a remote for cheap.