Replacement power supply needed

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John Wilson, Jul 14, 2006.

1. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

Hi.
    I recently purchased an external USB drive enclosure from an on-line vendor who sells one item per night. I got it for a great price but it came with a dead power supply that plugs into a wall {wall-wart). Here are the specs:

Model No. ADS-1220PC

Input Voltage 90 ~ 264Vac

Input Frequency 47 ~ 63 Hz

Input Surge Current [email protected],230V & [email protected],110V

Output Power 15 ~ 25 Watts

Output Current 1.0 ~ 4.0A

Output Ripple & Noise Max 50 ~ 240mV ( f = 0~20 mHz )

Safety & EMC Conformity CCC / GB17625.1-1998
    UL/FCC, GS/EN 55022 Class B, PSE

Protection Over Current Protection

Dimension (L*W*H) 88 * 55 * 31 mm

Since this is made in China and is only available on a few sites if you are a buying member,[​IMG] I was wondering if someone could suggest a readily available alternative that could be purchased here in the states.

Thanks for your help. BTW, this ADS-1220PC is made by this company:

http://www.made-in-china.com/import-...i-Office-.html

John

2. Vivek_IVB

Vivek_IVB Stunt Coordinator

Well, i don't know that much about these things, and you really should doub-check this unless you don't mind accidentally frying the enclosure:

The random bits i've learned during my whole HA adventure is that you can go to radioshack, get a wallwart that outputs the right voltage [odd that it says 1-4V, i presume that's DC and that it only actually needs 1V] and amps.

watts=volts*amps, so that's 15=120*X, or 0.125A, or probably one of the smallest warts known to man.

Then, take that home, cut off the connector to your enclosure, attach this one. The only thing you need to figure out is whether it's center-positive or center-negative. [polarity]. Don't worry, you won't kill yourself, but getting it wrong could fry your enclosure.

i learned this the hard way

3. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

The most important spec is missing: output voltage.
    It doesn't even mention if it is AC or DC voltage. (probably DC however)

You might need to look at the device being powered for that info. With voltage and current requirements, locating a power supply replacement should be possible. Most of the specs listed are unimportant.

My USB enclosure uses a 12 volt 1.7 Amp supply. Since a hard drive or optic drive requires 12 volt and 5 volt sources, your supply will probably be at least 12 volts. The current requirement (the Amps spec) is a minimum not a max. You will probably need a 12 volt 2 Amp supply. I have one PC that I tapped 12 volts from an unused power connector inside the cabinet to run a portable USB drive enclosure.

4. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

Yes Steve,
    I neglected to include the voltage spec. On the back of the plug it lists the output as 12 volts at 2.0 amps. i beleive that the enclosure must have a voltage divider to extract the required 5 volts as well?

i like your idea of tapping the power supply of the desktop computer as I intend to use this 300 GB drive in this enclosure to do periodic backups of a video editing system with a few large dives.[​IMG]

Thanks for the responses. Has anyone found a supply that would come close to these specs?

5. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

With a 300Gb drive, you might want a 3 amp supply. Look at the drive itself and see what it's requirements are. Also make sure that the enclosure supports that large of a drive.

I don't have any specific reccomendations but you might want to check out automotive parts departments. These used to be quite common and were used to operate automotive stereos, scanners, and CB radios inside the home, outside of a vehicle. You might be unpleasanly surprised at the cost, however. It might be cheaper to buy another enclosure to get a power supply to share. When you need over 1 amp, the supplies get more sophisticated.