What's new

Replacement Notice regarding Popeye The Sailor 1938-1940 Volume 2, Disc 1 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Notice regarding Popeye the Sailor 1938-1940 Volume 2, Disc 1

Warner Home Video is advising consumers who purchased Popeye the Sailor 1938-1940 Volume 2 DVD that two shorts on Disc 1 have an alternate opening credits sequence.

For any consumer who wants to have disc 1 replaced with the original opening credits sequence, please contact Warner Home Video at 1-800-553-6937 so that a self-addressed stamped
envelope can be sent to you for return of your current disc. Please note that the replacement discs will be sent to you in approximately 8-10 weeks.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
While it stinks to need to have the disc replaced I'm glad to see Warner out front on this. I'll be giving them a call later today.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
For posterity, here's a COMPLETE list of the errors on Disc 1,

Bulldozing the Bull: Part of opening music cut off, Paramount logo at start jumpcuts to correct Popeye card.
Goonland: Paramount logo at start jumpcuts to correct Popeye card, opening music uncut.
A Date to Skate: Paramount logo at start jumpcuts to correct Popeye card, opening music uncut.
Cops is Always Right: Paramount logo at start jumpcuts to correct Popeye card, opening music uncut.
Customers Wanted: Part of opening music cut off, Incorrect Paramount logo at start jumpcuts to incorrect a.a.p. Popeye card
Hello, How Am I?: Part of opening music cut off, Incorrect Paramount logo at start jumpcuts to incorrect a.a.p. Popeye card
It's the Natural Thing to Do: Part of opening music cut off, Incorrect Paramount logo at start jumpcuts to correct Popeye card, several splices in opening music

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
^^ There also appears to be an issue with THE JEEP.

Some sort of Video Artifact at the beginning of the short that causes a strange waviness to the picture. It almost looks like oil on the surface of the celluloid, or on the lens of the transfer device.

Some people (not myself) have also been reporting issues of certain shorts freezing up in spots. Again, this is not something that I've encountered... yet, so I'm not chalking it up as a major issue.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Yes, But it seems like the Jeep's waviness in the opening is a malady that can't be helped, since it appears to be part of the negative or whatever source was used. The body of the cartoon is in good shape, so I guess that's all I can ask for.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm not so sure about that... it appears to be a video artifact, hard to imagine film behaving like that. Can't say for sure though.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I called for the replacement disc and they already had my information in their system from a previous replacement disc call. So call was very quick since they had my address and all.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking of ordering this set online today, but now I've just read this. So what's the best move -- to order it from Amazon and then take advantage of this swap?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I called for the replacement on the first day and they haven't shipped me my disc yet so I'd imagine that's your best bet right now.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I wouldn't worry about calling a month after its release either. Based on my experiences with Warner replacements (the Looney Tunes disc), it seems like everyone who ordered a replacement disc gets it around the same time whether you called the first day or months after they let you call for the replacement.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I called earlier this week and was quoted the same timeframe of "8 to 10 weeks".

On the positive side, as with prior corrections, I don't need to mail in the original disc until the replacement comes. That's great customer service.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Has anyone gotten their replacement discs yet? The original announcement of the replacement discs was made 3 months ago or about 12 weeks.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I finally got around to calling in my order today and they told me that they haven't received the replacement discs yet, so it's going to be a while.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Some people at another forum have reported that they have gotten the discs in the mail. So they must be starting to come.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Just got mine! :)

Old Disc Info:
March 27, 2008 9:59PM
6.56GB
POPEYE_THE_SAILOR_V2_D1

Replacement Disc Info:
September 8, 2008
6.56GB
POPEYE_THE_SAILOR_V2_D1

VERY minor differences, to be sure.

"Customers Wanted"
BEFORE:

AFTER:

"Hello, How Am I?"
BEFORE:

AFTER:

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Mine also arrived yesterday and I put the old one in the mail today. Good timing since Popeye Volume 3 also arrived yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Logos1204
Recent bookmarks