Replacement Killers - Widescreen beaten by Pan&Scan?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonny K, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

I just bought "The Replacement Killers" on DVD. The disk is pan&scan on one side, and widescreen on the other.
    So in an effort to bring my dad into the wonderfull world of widescreen and demonstrate how much more you see, we were doing comparissons between the wide and p&s versions of the film.
    At the very beginning of the film, a bullet is placed on a table, and a closeup is done. In the widescreen version, the top 1/4 of the bullet is not viewable, but more of the table to the sides in viewed. In the p&s version, the ENTIRE BULLET is viewed, top to bottom!
    My dad immediatly proclaimed that widescreen simply cuts the top and bottom of the image off. What in the world is going on here? Shouldn't the widescreen version have all the vertical info, plus extra horizontal info as well? Why is the top of the bullet cut off?
    Now I'm annoyed thinking that I'm watching the movie in what I consider "superior" widescreen, while I'm really trading the cut-off picture from p&s for a different cut-off picture in widescreen!!!
    Jonny K. [​IMG]

2. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    It is possible that the movie itself was shot in Super 35. This means that when viewed in widescreen, you will lose some picture on the top and bottom. When viewed in Full Screen or Pan & Scan, you will lose some picture on the sides but not on the top or bottom. This is evident in quite a few movies, some of which are Air Force One and Lord of the Rings to name a few. It is your choice which version you would prefer if two options are available(widescreen or pan & scan) but you are better off with the widescreen either way. It is more the director's intent that you watch the film in the 'scope' that it was shot in, hence the widescreen and more picture on the sides, which is what you would normally see in theaters. Although you do lose picture in widescreen on the top and bottom, much more key information and picture is lost on the sides, as well as action happening in the movie if you were to view it in pan and scan. Hope this helps.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Travis Braddy

It's been a while since I've watched this movie, but one WS vs P&S moment was near the end, when he pushes open the gates in front of the limo, getting ready to kill everyone in sight. There's a slow pan up his body showing two pistols in his hands, two pistols tucked into his front waistband of his pants and then up to his face. In the P&S version, it pans up and the only thing you see is just a bit of the two guns at his waist, for me, most of the big dramatic impact of his entry is lost because you just see the center of the torso and his face.