Replacement Killers SE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Malo, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Dave Malo

Dave Malo Agent

I noticed on my last DVD shopping spree that a special Edition of Replacement Killers came out. Just wondering if anybody has had a chance to compare the new to old version. The reason I ask is the older version is about 14.00 CAD and the SE is 34.00. Which one to buy?

2. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

I have both versions and I believe that the audio/video transfers are the same on both discs (read: excellent, though a new DTS soundtrack would've kicked ass), so it's basically whether you want to spend the extra $$$ for a few decent deleted/extended scenes, a not-too different alternate ending, a documentary, cool animated menus, commentary from dir. Antoine Fuqua (haven't listened to it yet) and some cast info. The new disc is not a flipper (plus no Pan & Scam) like the original was, so that's a plus. However, I liked the multi-fold out insert from the original disc a lot better , since it had production notes and the new one is a single sheet chapter listing type only.

3. SHAWN SZILEZY

SHAWN SZILEZY Stunt Coordinator

Dave (both),
    I believe the audio mixes are exactly the same but the new installment is "anamorphic" as opposed to the original. [​IMG]

4. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

the original was also anamorphic.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

They are the same transfer, down to the little things that bothered me (not many, the original was a good transfer). I have done an A/B on my system (PT-47 Michael TLV'd HDTV / RP91). Both are anamorphic.

David P hit it right on the head: same OAR anamorphic transfer, no P&S on the new one. RSDL on the new one. New extras. Less liner notes on the new one.

For those who don't need to have everything Chow Yun-Fat right away, you may want to wait until this title undoubtedly goes to a discount price (like CTHV's Legends of the Fall SE which is now $14.99 and can be found on sale for $12.99 or less).

For those with a need for a CYF fix, Best Buy has it for $16.99.

6. Jim Spencer

Jim Spencer Stunt Coordinator

Future Shop has it for $24 Canadian.

7. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I will probably wait for a price drop on this as well. I already have the original. Had a tough time putting this new version down at Futureshop this week though- that new cover photo of Mira Sorvino looking back is nice.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Ben Rogers

Ben Rogers Stunt Coordinator

No DTS. NO Buy hehehe

9. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Hmm I am sticking to my Laserdisc version. The movie does
    not warrant a DVD buy whatever the features & extras are
    offered. [​IMG]