1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Replacement for Windows Media Player (Win 7)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ron1973, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I might have asked before, but I'm going to shoot at it again. I'm looking for something (has to be free) that's comparable to Windows Media Player. I'm not interested in doing videos; I rarely use my computer for that. I need it for music as I have probably close to 40,000 songs on here. I want to be able to import album art just like in WMP. Media Monkey I've tried, sort of liked it, sort of didn't. I tried VLC and couldn't get it to work. I want to be able to list artist(s), contributing artist(s), and composer(s) like in WMP. It also has to be Win 7 compatible and work with mp3 and wav.

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    There's always iTunes but it's a dog on a Windows machine.

Have you looked at Winamp? I used to use that back in the early 2000s. I think they're still releasing new versions but I have no idea of the capabilities or if they charge for it now.

Ron1973 likes this.
  3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Yep. iTunes does all that and is free. It’s not a good looking Windows app. It’s not even a good looking macOS app, since it still has the brushed metal look from like 2010.

And it’s kinda bloated.

But it does everything you want for free.

4. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Media player classic might do the trick. Free and open source.

There's also a "portable app" version that doesn't require installation. Just unzip it to a folder and run. That's an excellent way to test it as if it doesn't do what you want just delete the folder. No changes are made to the OS or any local files other than those in its folder.