What's new

Replacement for the Sony KD34XBR2 (1 Viewer)

JonDimasi

Auditioning
circuit city now has a new sony 16:9 34 in which i thought was the replacement for the XBR2. they are selling it between 2500-3000 depending on sales, i dont know anything about it but word is it is missing the decoder the XBR2 had.... but i have found out that the KV34XBR800 is not the replacement.... they have a KD34XBR3 coming in, they have no word on anything about it... anyone here about it, anything at all?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I have also seen the KV34XBR800 at CC. Surprisingly, another dealer had the XBR2 and did not have the XBR800.

CC (in Dallas) is selling the XBR800 for $2,500, while most places here put the XBR2 at $4,000.

I could not see a lot of difference in the two displays, but then I’ve not found a place to compare them next to each other.

However, the XBR800 has DVI inputs, which the XBR2 lacks. The XBR800 also has some “memory stick” input on the front panel. May be a couple of other differences, but I really can’t remember.

According to the salesman at CC, the market was not impressed with the price tag for the integrated HD tuner in the XBR2. Hence the XRB800 w/o the HD tuner. This probably makes sense, given the price of external HD tuners and the decision of many to purchase HD capabilities today, deferring full HD until later.

I have no information on the XBR3.

For what its worth, I think that the picture on the XBR800 is stunning. I came down to this model and the Panasonic CT34WX52, after two full weekends of comparisons. I’ve changed my mind on this purchase at least once and (as the set has not yet been delivered) may do so again. I’m using a few, favorite Criterions to make comparisons.

I can’t see how either purchase could be wrong.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Lew,
Where have you checked out the Panasonic CT34WX52? What is the retail price on this bad boy? Panasonic hasn't set the price yet, it only says "see dealer" on their website. I haven't found the time to see this thing yet. I know my BB doesn't have them yet. I'll have to check magnolia hifi some time this week to see if they got them in yet.

BruZZi

Second Unit
CC in New York City has the 34XBR800 in stock on warehouse. Both stores East 86th Street & 80th/Broadway don't have it on display. Price is $2,374

Users who are viewing this thread