What's new

Replacement for the Panasonic RP91?? (1 Viewer)

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I was just wondering if anyone new of a replacement for the rp91 and when it might be coming out and what changes are in store? Thanks! Bob

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I recall reading something about replacements for this and the RP-56, I believe. Maybe it was a CES announcement. I recall model numbers of 62 and 92. I think I read this in the latest "The Perfect Vision". Don't remember the time frame.

Doug

Jim Prillaman

Stunt Coordinator
You are thinking of the 62 and 82, I think. The 62 will replace the 56. The 82 will have DVD-Audio, but is not intended as a replacement for the 91. From what I've heard, they haven't announced any replacement for the 91 -- it's being kept around for an extra year, as JohnnyG said.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I've heard people "speculate" the 82 is a 91 replacement, but I don't think that's the case. The 91 will still be around when the 82 comes out next month.

James D S

Screenwriter
Panasonic has not announced a replacement - nor do they intend to for this model year. They know they have a still very competative model in the 91.

Though I wouldn't mind an update to fix the little quarks.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Other than scaling of non-anamorphics, please look at the upcoming RP82 product sheet and then tell me what the RP91 does that the RP82 doesn't do.

Not counting the scaling, the superior deinterlacing of the RP82 (Faroudja) makes it more than a replacement for the RP91. Also, the sheet implies that the RP82 will have zooms - if these provide "even close" to what the RP91 does for non-anamorphics (Say for example ....... allow you to manually zoom non-anamorphics unlike the RP91's automatic non-anamorphic zooming.), then it's a no-brainer - the RP82 wins over the RP91 any day of the week.

PLUUUUUUUUUS ...... a RP82 bonus is that it will sell for less than the RP91.

If the RP91 did everything it did with a DVDO or Faroudja deinterlacer chip instead of it's Genesis chip, then it would be worth keeping around for quite some time indeed.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I don't dispute what you say about the deinterlacers, Phil, but I think in real world performance, that is watching a movie, not running torture tests, most folks, IMO, would have a hard time distinguishing the Faroudja from the Genesis.

Just yesterday, I was running the Denon 1600, which has DCDi, & the RP91 through some test sequences on a Kenwood test DVD, and they were very close, IMO, with a slight edge to the Denon.

I was concentrating on that one aspect of performance and the difference was noticeable but marginal, so imagine the difference when someone is engrossed in a DVD.

I jokingly mentioned the Denon 3800 as a replacement for the RP-91, and it looks like a good unit on paper, but for the price that you can get the RP-91 for now, it is one hell of a bargain. You do pick up bass management for DVD-A with the 3800 and a higher spec'd video DAC, but the price is also much higher too.

With the addition of the 82 it looks like there will be some high performance, inexpensive DVD players for consumers to choose from.

Now, let's hope, the manufacturers will start concentrating their efforts on HD-DVD.

DJ

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
This might be a feature the RP82 has the RP91 doesn't - Red Flicker.

If the RP82 has the flicker like the RP56 I'd stay away, farrrrr away.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
David,

Did you watch the extras on DVD's where the material switches between video-based and film-based? I guess that's where the Faroudja DCDi patent(s) really shine.

(I have to be honest with you on something the RP91 has I know about but didn't mention - 12 bit video DAC's. The RP56/62/82 have only 10 bit video DAC's.)

Yeah.........that 3800 having the chroma upsampling design error really disappointed me. I was counting on it to be a player "that finally had it right". I was mentally getting ready to buy it or the flagship 9000 until that design error reared it's ugly head in both models.

Jeff,

Good point on the red flicker. I believe that's due to the RP56's Sage/Faroudja deinterlacer chip having it's CCS (Cross Color Suppression - another Faoudja patent.) function defaulted to ON in the RP56/62 design? I'm hoping beyond hope that CCS is OFF in the RP82 design. Of course the ultimate is to have CCS be user-selectable like I believe it is in the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks