Replacement for Shiva-same enclosure?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DorianBryant, Oct 13, 2005.

1. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I have a 85L ported enclosure tuned to 22hz with a Shiva 12" What would be an upgrade? What other 12" drivers would provide more output?

2. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Direct drop-in replacements would be: Dayton 12DVC or the old Stryke Audio SAE1204 (ApexJr. or Acoustic Visions). An upgrade would be the OAudio TC2+ 12 or the Audio Elegance (Stryke) AV12.
    JP

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I've had gone from a Shiva MK IV to a Stryke AV12 to an Ascendant Avalanche 12" all in the same enclosure (5.25 ft^3, 22hz). I've had very good luck with all three drivers. Avalanche 12 looks like it would be a good drop in, especially if you have the power to take advantage of it. Same is true (maybe more so) of the Stryke AV12 if you can find one. The Atlas 12 would do very well also. The graph is a bit deceiving (F3 around 31hz) but it doesn't roll off very steeply until around 22hz or -6db meaning it will perform much more like a sealed sub and have plenty of usable output down to about 22hz (much like the Shiva in that box).

4. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Lewis B has a couple stryke AV 12's for sale. I thought about picking one up and upgrading to a 500 watt BASH amp. I just want it to be an audible difference. The shiva works very well but I have an open floor plan and ask alot from the Shiva.

The AV12 may be a good possibility...

Thanks!

5. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

The OAudio driver has a 4-5mm one way x-max advantage on the Shiva, and the Stryke/AVA have at least a 10mm one-way x-max advantage. Suffice it to say, if you use them with enough power you will hear a significant loudness difference over the Shiva.
    JP

6. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

There is no delay on new AV12 drivers. Just go to http://www.aespeakers.com and click the 'store' link. The SL-10 slim sub driver is also available. But according to John, it's just a matter of receiving an order and shipping it out now, since John's built up a decent stock of the product. Build quality is much more consistent now that John builds the drivers in-house, because he can test each one. I really like my AV12, lots of clean bass.

7. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Unfortunately there have been HUGE delays in recent months getting any products from John.