Replacement for RP91

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I love my RP91 but I know one day it will bite the dust. What would you recommend for someone who watches 99.9% film based DVDs as a replacement for the RP91?

george kaplan

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Pray that someday some company has the brains to release a decent alternative. Why is it so hard to get a dvd player with aspect ratio control and rp91 picture quality (farouda deinterlacer, etc.)?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The RP91 doesn't have the Faroudja de-interlacer, it does have a great MPEG decoder though.

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member

This has frustrated me, too. I still have not found a player that makes me want to upgrade from my RP-91 for these reasons. I sure hope mine does not die before something comparable hits the market. I'm holding out hope for the Momitsu V880N being released soon, even though it lacks DVD-Audio support. I am concerned about build quality with such offbrand equipment, though.

DaveGTP

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
If you watch mostly film-based dvds, the latest silicon image deinterlacer is supposed to be as good, if not better, than the Faroudja...

I'm not so lucky - between anime and Babylon 5, I've got lot of video-based material, and anime needs a quality deinterlacer. My CP72 is dead, the Denon dvd-910 jitters. I'm still contemplating replacements. It's hard to find !

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
DaveGTP, I'd heartily recommend a Panasonic XP30 Faroudja-based model - I got one on EBAY 9months ago and its been perfect. I compared to the Denon DVD-910/1200 and Mitsubishi DD-8040 at that time and the XP30 had several features those others lacked. There are still a few brand new/unopened XP30 units selling on EBAY - I say grab one.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wombat