Replacement for DSP-A1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jim Rondeau, May 23, 2004.

1. Jim Rondeau

Jim Rondeau Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

Although I hate to do it, I am looking to replace my DSP-A1. I love my DSP-A1, but really want to move up to a DPLIIx 7.1 receiver. I would like to hear from other previous DSP-A1 owners who have moved in this direction. The catch is I can't go higher than $1000 and I'd rather stay around $800 (otherwise I'd just move to the Z9...I wish). I've read all the good reviews of the RX-V1400 and was wondering if this would be a suitable replacement. I auditioned a Denon 3802 around a year ago, but it just couldn't match the sound output from the DSP-A1. My preference is to stay with Yamaha, but I'm open to other brands as well. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I'd say in the price range you're looking at, the Denon 3805, Yamaha 1400 or 2400, Pioneer 53TX, and Sony 3000ES would be good units to demo.

The DSP-A1 was one hell of a processor, but I can appreciate you wanting something newer with more decoding modes.

DJ

3. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

I am going through the same thing as I too have a DSP-A1 that has served me faithfully for 5 years. I am looking at the 2400 and 3805 and just recently added the B&K 507 to my list although it is substantally more. Between the 2400 and 3805 I am leaning towards the 2400 as it is $200 less, has a better remote, imo, and I like Yamaha. The Denon is a much nicer looking unit to me and does have the extra component video in but loses a coaxial input and doesn't come with the calibration mic. In listening to both I couldn't tell a real difference in sound quality. Hope this helps.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Personally I can’t see going from a flagship model like the superb A1 to a lower mid-line model just to get DPLII and a couple extra surround channels. Has technology trickled down that much, that you can now get about the same quality for less than half what an A1 cost?

You could always get a functioning rear center by feeding the A1’s rear output jacks to an old DPL receiver.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Jim Rondeau

Jim Rondeau Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. I will try auditioning a 1400 or 2400 in my theather and see how it stacks up against the DSP-A1. Wayne, I've considered the hookup to an old DPL receiver as you suggested. If the 1400/2400 doesn't fly, I may give that a shot.

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Generally speaking, yes, IMO. It's amazing how good it is even at the $500 level. Of course, each particular swap-out has to be judged on a per case basis.

DJ