Replacement for Denon 3300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ron Schildt, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Ron Schildt

Ron Schildt Agent

I have a Denon 3300 that's about 6 years old. Last week it went on the blink. The "lock" light for the digital inputs does not light up anymore, and thus I get no sound. I assume there's some sort of problem with digital signal processor. Anyone have any suggestions on troubleshooting or how to fix this?

Assuming it can't be fixed (or would cost more than it's worth), what are some good replacements? I've leaning to the Denon 3806, but other advice is appreciated.

Also, I saw some models (Denon 4306) have a USB connection that can be used to connect an iPod. Any other models anyone knows about with these features?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The new line is coming out from Harman Kardon with Ipod support. The 140/240/340 are aparently hitting stores already (though they are not exactly in quite the same range as the 3300), which I'm sure means there will be a 440 and 640 shortly.

3. BillSuneson

BillSuneson Stunt Coordinator

Ron,

how much money are you looking to spend and what other featrues are you looking for?

Bill

4. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

I have the 3300 also. If it ever takes a dump, I would go with the 3806. I haven't read much on it yet, but I would think that it 'upconverts' composite and S-video to component like the 3805 does. That simplifies you video hookups. The 3806 is suppose add the HDMI and maybe DVI inputs.

But do look around. At that price, you want to be sure.

5. Ron Schildt

Ron Schildt Agent

I'm sure I'll be spending at least the amount I spent on the 3300....$1,000. I would like a few things my 3300 doesn't do, like conversion from s-video to component, OSD via component/HDMI, iPod input, and 7.1. Most other "new" features will go unused for now as most of it I can't use until I get some more toys! (RPTV is component only)

I didn't notice any iPod input on the Denon models except the 4306 I saw on Crutchfield's site, but doesn't appear on Denon's website. What gives?

The Pioneer VSX-72TXV appears to be a close fit too, and includes an iPod port/control. Is this a good alternative?

Any idea if the 3300 is worth getting fixed? Anyone heard of this problem before?

6. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

I remember reading a post about someone who's 3300 broke. I don't remember what the deal was, but I do recall that he couldn't get it fixed due to parts or something. It left an uncomfortable feeling with me. I love my 3300. Also, I can't afford to replace it (new HDTV and DVD player this year).

The search on this site goes back quite a ways. Take a look. It might have been on the AVS site. I'm not sure. My morning coffee hasn't quite soaked into the memory section of my brain yet.

7. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

8. Ron Schildt

Ron Schildt Agent

Hey - Thanks for the info Tom. I decided to bring my 3300 in yesterday and have the shop at least take a look at it. A diagnosis inspection cost $60, and the tech said the average repair bill is about $180.

For this money, what's the opinion on fixing it. It will take about 1-2 weeks before they have an estimate for me. If I can find a Denon 3806 or Pioneer 72TXV for $900, maybe that would be money better spent.

Any other similar models to consider? Especially any with iPod support?

9. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

I would try to have mine fixed if it broke, because I can't afford a new one right now. For me, about $200 would be about tops to spend. Maybe a little more.

If you're in the position to buy a new one, but nothing really fits the bill, then fix the 3300 until what you really want comes out. Then you can use the 3300 in another room or pass it on to a family member.

You know you're situation best. Do what's best for you.

10. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

What does the IPOD support give you? Can't you just buy a mini-plug cord adapter into the red/white RCAs? This is what I've always done to use my MP3 players on the home theater system. Seems like to me a special input for an IPOD is overkill unless you get some kind of added benefit.

11. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Also, I would go with the 3806. Do not pay over $900 for it though...

I bought my 3803 almost 2 years ago for $650 from B/M.

12. Ron Schildt

Ron Schildt Agent

Granted, not a lot. I too have been using a mini-plug to RCA patch cable to run my Nano to the 3300. One useful thing is the ability to skip tracks, pause, etc using the remote and it also provides some type of OSD, but not sure if it shows track title, artist, etc like the iPod display does. Maybe someone with a Pioneer 72 or 74 can chime in?

I was hoping it would also charge the iPod throught the cable on some of these, but haven't heard of that yet.

Some would say the quality of sound from an iPod isn't worth it, but I love the convenience. I take it to work, car, wherever, and enjoy having my own tunes with me. Having a decent looking place to attach it to my HT gear is just a plus for me.

An iPod port isn't a deal killer, but if I opt for a replacement for the 3300, this is one feature I may use. Many others would go unused until I upgrade the rest of my gear. (And get out of this infernal apartment!)

13. Ron Schildt

Ron Schildt Agent

Well I finally got called back from the repair shop, and it's $185 for a new DSP board for the 3300. I think that's the better road for now.

They said I'll have it by Thanksgiving. I hope so. Sending the sound straight to the TV is killing me!

14. Yong Chan

Yong Chan Stunt Coordinator

The headphone jack is fine if you are listening to headphones. You are taking compressed digital audio which already has its own issues and sending them through an analog port. The better your receiver/speakers are, the more you will hear its imperfections and interference. The ipod compatability is more than convenience, you can send a digital signal to the receiver without interference from analag cables. That's why the nicer IPOD compatible speakers from Klipsch and Bose have a dock for the digital jack.
    So, you buy a VSX 72, excited to find the included cable. You hook up your new IPOD nano. You see the nice OSD that mimics the display of the Ipod. You anxiously await the sound, but you hear no audio. You mess around with your new receiver trying to figure out what you are doing wrong. You waste a few hours checking your connections, reading the manual....then finally, you break down and call Pioneer. They tell you that the IPOD nano digital jack does not support audio. Oh well.....I guess I will save my money for a IPOD video.
    By the time you do upgrade your receiver, IPOD compatability will probably be a common feature in more receivers. Unfortunately, you will need a new ipod.
    Otherwise, the vsx72 sounds great. Option number two, you spend a few more $$ to get the 74, which has USB connectivity. You can hook up your laptop or computer to stream music from your Itunes..

Good luck

yc

15. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, If I had a faithfull for 6 years Denon 3300 and it only cost $180 to fix it. I think I'd opt for the repair myself.

Often the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. [​IMG]

16. Ron Schildt

Ron Schildt Agent

Quite right! Even if I opt for a new receiver down the road, I'm definitely fixing the 3300. Actually the $60 service fee I already paid gets applied, so I'm only out another $120 to get it fixed. So in a year or so when I finally get the bug to upgrade, at least I have a great receiver to use in my bedroom.

17. Yong Chan

Yong Chan Stunt Coordinator

Who takes back Bday gifts? Sounds like you are better off without her. Apple had to make some compromises to accomodate the small size of the nano; hence the headphone jack on the bottom. The Ipod video will work with the receiver.

YC