What's new

Replacement for Cascade Complete in the dishwasher? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I was recently hunting for new dishwasher soap and have had the best luck with stuff called "Cascade Complete', although my last box was just regular Cascade. It leaves powder everywhere and doesn't do a good rinse. I went to Walmart and bought something called Cascade Complete with special Orange scent or something like that... as there was nothing called just Cascade Complete. So I'm desperate and bring it home, and then a friend tells me that dishwasher detergent with either Lemon or Orange oils is bad for silverware. Is this true?

Even still, it appears like they're not making the Cascade complete stuff anymore, as it wasn't available anywhere to me. What's a good replacement for it?

Thanks.

LewB

Screenwriter
I buy the el cheapo supermarket brand stuff. Works fine for me and saves a few pennies too :D
I figure that the house brand stuff is made by a 'name brand', just in a different box.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I swore I saw Cascade Complete at our Price Club/Costco last week. Do you have one near you ?

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Consumer Reports did a study, and found that the stuff that works the best is anything that is labeled with "enzymes".

In fact, the Wall-Mart brand generic stuff -with enzymes, not only performed the best, but was also the least expensive of the 20 or so that they tested.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M

Interesting. Would you happen to have a link? I've never trusted Consumer reports for anything before, but it'd be an interesting try. I'd love to save some bucks if I could.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I use the Walmart enzyme power in the boxes and it is as good as or better than Cascade complete in our Kenmore Elite DW. We have also bought it in the tub at Sam's Club Labeled as "members Mark" brand. Look on the ingredients for "enzymes" and you will have the right stuff. Definetly worth a try its way less expensive with no trade offs in performance.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Walmart Canada does not sell the WM house brand emzyme dishwashing detergent, unfortunately. At least the last time I checked, which was a few months ago.

Try the Electrasol tabs.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Yep, most any of those store-brand items are made by the same major brand manufacturers, then just put into the store's special packaging.

Heinz brand or Kroger brand, it's all the same ketchup. (An example only. I don't know if Kroger gets their brand ketchup from Heinz or another manufacturer.)

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
Just remember that dishwasher soap works best when there's food left on the dishes, so don't wash them before you put them in the dishwasher (unless you won't run it for a few days).

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. So, what places in Calgary sell the enzyme stuff? I had Cascade Complete too, but it ran out.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor

Sorry Paul, something I read in the mag itself about a year or two ago while searching for the dishwasher itself. It stuck with me though...

Care to share any reasons why you don't trust CR magazine? I've had nothing but success researching all major purchases prior.

StephenHa

Second Unit

the other problem with rinsing is the dishes will be etched by the soap (maytag has a service bulitin about it) Also the biggest cause of service calls in clothes washers, and dishwashers, is the use of powedered soap you are putting sand in your machine it doesn't disolve completely, and eats seals plus plugs pumps. (I was the service manager at an electronics, and home theater store)Take consumer reports "tests" with a grain of saltone of the things they said worked great wouldn't work for any of my customers. I usually suggest trying many types and using what works best for you (the appliance manufacturers did their own tests and found a cheap name brand for some reason my brain can't see the name worked best)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Just got back from a wedding in BC. Thanks for all the responses.

I've just never personally had good luck with consumer reports, especially in the electronics section. Perhaps they've improved recently, I don't know, but when I see Bose at the top of the recommended speakers list, I tend to wonder. It may be better for other items, but I know electronics is particularly poorly reviewed in Consumer Reports.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks