Replacement FM Wire?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mark Shannon, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

My reciever has an FM and AM tuner on it. It came with both an AM antenna, and an FM one (which was simple a single strand of 18 guage wire).

I've lost the FM wire though, and was thinking, could I just use half of a speaker wire (one poliarity) or whatever. The speaker wire is about 14 or 16 guage. Would there be any problems doing this?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mark,

The first thing that comes to mind is that it may be a problem connecting wire that large to the terminals.

Why not just go to a local electronics store and buy a real antenna? Most of them are really inexpensive.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Well I just want the most simple alternative. I don't really want to bother with an antenna, as I'll have no where to put it (reciever is in the basement) and i don't really feel like running any wire up the house or onto the side of it. Also, keep in mind that I'm only 16, so parental approval for that would be needed.

Weird thing tho, I seem to have found the original wire. I have no complaints with the reception, so I don't see the need for an antenna. I only listen to the radio occasionally anyways...

4. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    A simple FM wire dipole antenna should work well and is inexpensive (about $3 or so) at Radio Shack, Walmart, etc. Just tack it to the wall, or wherever is most convenient.