What's new

Replacement FM Wire? (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
My reciever has an FM and AM tuner on it. It came with both an AM antenna, and an FM one (which was simple a single strand of 18 guage wire).

I've lost the FM wire though, and was thinking, could I just use half of a speaker wire (one poliarity) or whatever. The speaker wire is about 14 or 16 guage. Would there be any problems doing this?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mark,

The first thing that comes to mind is that it may be a problem connecting wire that large to the terminals.

Why not just go to a local electronics store and buy a real antenna? Most of them are really inexpensive.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Well I just want the most simple alternative. I don't really want to bother with an antenna, as I'll have no where to put it (reciever is in the basement) and i don't really feel like running any wire up the house or onto the side of it. Also, keep in mind that I'm only 16, so parental approval for that would be needed.

Weird thing tho, I seem to have found the original wire. I have no complaints with the reception, so I don't see the need for an antenna. I only listen to the radio occasionally anyways...

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
A simple FM wire dipole antenna should work well and is inexpensive (about $3 or so) at Radio Shack, Walmart, etc. Just tack it to the wall, or wherever is most convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks