What's new

Replacement DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Xander H

Agent
For the past 18 months I've been using the Philips DVP642 DVD player. It's a single disc player and it was so good that even after my first one shot craps for no good reason less than a year after purchase I got the same one again.

Now this one has died on me 6 months after after I got it in the exact same manner (all the sudden it wont read any discs that you put in it) and rather than arguing with the Philips people for a second time about their DVD player dying on me I thought I'd just get a brand new one.

I don't have a lot of money to spend on a new DVD player, really that was why I went with the DVP642 in the first place...Amazon had it on sale for a steal with free shipping and it was just too hard to pass up.

I would love a 5 disc changer but they seem to run quite a bit more expensive than the singles. It needs to be component video and that's pretty much the only requirement...I'll be using it with a Pioneer VSX 1015TX receiver and a standard TV (not HD).

Hopefully I can find a few good choices for under 100 or 150 bucks. I'd like something that won't die on me after 6 months too, if at all possible.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Though I'm not familiar with that particular model, please bear in mind that when you spend less than $100 on a DVD player longevitiy does become an issue. Some people have made discoveries at that price, but build quality, never a strong suit in most DVD players, plays a role in the unit's longevity. Why not up your budget by about $50? Your options improve.

Xander H

Agent
That's definately something I can consider if there are some proven winners in that range 50-75 dollars up from where I was looking.

A disc changer would be nice but even if I forked it over for a single disc player if it lasted for a decent amount of time it'd be worth it to me.

Especially since even though I dont need anything super fancy I use it a LOT, at least 2 hours a day usually, sometimes upwards of 16 hours at a time on movie fest nights.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Then, sir, up your budget to around $140 or so -- in fact, the more the better. And stick with major-brand units.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
In the 7-1/2 years I have had a dvd player I am only on my second player. I am on my 2nd Sony and have had no problems at all.

As a matter of fact, my first player I purchased in 1998 is still working. I gave it to my son. I replaced it because it didn't decode DTS and I wanted a DVD player that would play SACDs.

The first dvd player is a lot heavier than these newer models. Of course, it also cost a lot more. It cost $450. My second player with SACD, cost my $250. Bottom line, I have been very pleased with Sony DVD players.

scott>c

Second Unit
If u want something inexpensive I`d also check out the pioneer dvd players like the dv-563 or 578. They play sacd and have great sound and picture. I have had higher end dvd players but this one will play anything and isnt finicky like my more expensive gear. Great for kids movies and netflix, stuff that gets dirty or scratched.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would take a look at the new Sony 75 model (image shift problem is fixed from the previous model). It's single disc, but probably the best performer in your price range.

Also, as a general rule, single disc players out perform multi-disc players in the same price range.

Xander H

Agent
Thanks for the responses. I'll definately look for something in the 140-200 range then to make sure it lasts a while.

I'm looking at the suggested Pioneer, does anyone have a link to the Sony 75 model that Dave referenced?

I'm a fan of Sony products and I'd definately be interested in looking at that as well.

I'm going to check with a friend at Best Buy to see what kind of price he can get on the Sony DVPNS90V as well as the DVPNC80V/B. Are both of those decent choices?

Thanks again for the help!

Patrick Bond

Auditioning
I dont remember the model numbers but the 2 new Sonys at best Buy are good units. The 5 disc unit even does upconversion..if you wanted to go that route later on. Sony also has upconverting unit for less than $130. I'm not stuck on the Sony name but they do make pretty good stuff and this would be one. I rarely get one returned...the toshiba 3990 is a different story. Even their 05 upconvert model had some serious issues. Check out the LG 511 upconvert unit. Plays every format except DVDC-Ram and it plays DivX. its worked flawlessly on every in-store display I've had it on and in my personal home as well. Its around $129 right now at BB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks