Replacement driver for existing sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt DeVillier, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

I have an old 10" Opitimus (radio shack) sub and was considering replacing the driver, since the current one is cheap and crappy, but the 120W amp is still good.

The box the sub is in now is ported. The box is 13"W x 13"H x 14.5"D, and the port is 4" dia. and about 8.5 long, located on the bottom. The driver faces forward. I figure the max depth I can support is about 5" (maybe 5.25").

I was looking at the 10" woofers on partsexpress, but there are a variety of models / prices so I'm pretty lost as to what would be adequate for my needs. Ideally, I'd like to have this sub perform similarly to my Sony SAWM40. I'm open to any recommendations.

Thanks in advance

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I was just thumbing through PE's 10" woofers and found this one that would fit closely in that size of box: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=7876&DID=7
    However, I can't say if it will perform better or worse than you have. In fact, it's hard to match a driver to an enclosure.. particularly a ported one. It's much easier to match an enclosure to a driver (ie: build one)
    You might be better off either selling the Optimus and putting the $ towards another Sony, or if you are at all handy with powertools/woodworking, consider building a kit or design of your own.

3. that box is somewhere on the order of ~27L. a 4" port 8.5" long has a tunning of ~55hz!!!!....those numbers are rough, but damn!..that is a high port tuning...or did I do the math wrong?

4. Matt DeVillier

I realize that it is difficult to match a driver to a box - I was just thinking there might be an easy way to salvage it. The box itself is very strudy/well made, which is the primary reason I'm trying not to just toss it.

I'm not sure on the tuning of it (don't have the formulas handy), but given the quality of the driver, I wouldn't be totally surprised (I would have guessed closer to 40Hz though). The port is only made of cardboard (with plastic rings at both ends) so the length could be modified easily.

I don't really need another sub, though I could find a use for it; I was just trying to salvage what I had here. I wouldn't mind that one driver you linked to, but I wouldn't want to spend the $80 and have it sound like crap...

5. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

6. Matt DeVillier

7. Peter Jessee

8. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

If it really is easy to change port lengths then why not try making it longer (tuning it lower)? You'll get a lower Q alignment and possibly get rid of a mid-bass hump.

9. Matt DeVillier

edit: found the SV10 on subwoofers.com

Peter,

given that I'm not building a box from scratch, do you think the SV10 or the PE Thruster 10" would be better, given the price differential ($59 vs $99 currently)? I'm not adverse to spending the extra money if it will produce a noticable return =)

thanks

-Matt

10. Peter Jessee