What's new

Replacement Dinosaur CE DVDs Shipping (1 Viewer)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
This, according to the WDHV Consumer Relations cs representative I spoke with on Monday of this week. She told me that mine had shipped that day and to allow 5 to 10 business days for delivery. In case anyone else has been waiting on this, you can call CR at their toll free number, 800-723-4763 and find out if yours shipped. Once (IF)I get mine, I'll perform my own test based on the problems experienced and I'll be sure to post a full report. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
Regards.
D

DarrenA

Second Unit
I wonder when these corrected versions will start to show up on store shelves. I intentionally did not purchase this title because of the known problems. I'm now wondering when my local retailer will have these in stock?

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads up. I had originally called Disney back in May 2001 to get on the replacement list. I just called WDHV, and they had no record of my earlier call. The representative was very pleasant, and said they will mail me a replacement copy today. So you may want to call them and check if they still have your name, if you called them a whle ago.

Tom Fynan

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
When I got home I found a package from;

BVHE Consumer Relations

111 E Wisconsin Ave

3rd Floor

Neenah, WI 54956

It has a packing slip, form to fill out, prepaid mailing

label that they want you to ship the old Dinosaur set with.

The old Dinosaur disc 1 and 2 have the "gold" color,

while the new Dinosaur disc 1 and 2 are "silver" color.

The silk screen pictures are the same for both discs for both sets.

The VOB files on the old set;

disc 1 12/11/2000

disc 2 12/19/2000

The VOB files on the new set;

disc 1 11/06/2001

disc 2 12/19/2000

The jacket art is the same for both.

No mention of it being a repressed set.

I have saved the top security sticker and will check

at Best Buy tomorrow if there is any special notation

in the title to help tell the two sets apart.

As of now, the only way to tell is to turn the discs over

and see the layer color, but I don't know if Disney used

the "silver" in any productions of the old set.

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting . . . the CE set I just received yesterday has GOLD-colored DVDs, and it plays fine in my Sony DVP9000ES.

The differences between MY old version and my new one:

(1) The old one has bar code lines on the inner circle of the side where the information is located; the new does not have ANY bar codes.

(2) The "hub" on the old version is also gold-colored; the "hub" on the new version is gray-colored.

(3) The hub on the new version has the word "Technicolor/CA" written on the gray hub; the old version does not.

(4) The new version has "C3.2" written in the gold "space" next to the hub; the older version does not.

Just my two cents in case any of you receive "new" versions that are also gold-colored.

Regards,

Sam

DarrenA

Second Unit
I had always thought that the gold color indicated dual layering while silver indicated single layering. This apparently is not the case. In any event, I sure wish their was some form of identification on the outside of the box so that I could pick up the proper version in the stores.
Boy does this bring back last summer's memories of the Jurassic Park DTS DVD debacle.:angry:
I do appreciate you guys listing these differences though. Perhaps I'll just wiat a little longer and buy one from my local store and see if I get lucky (feel like I'm trying to find the Golden Wonka ticket).

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
I never signed up before, but I do have the defective discs.

Would I be able to get them replaced if I called that number now?

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
I just spoke to a very nice Customer Rep there (FINALLY!!!!) who is shipping me a newly CORRECTED version of Dinosaur CE!
It sure will be nice to watch this movie in the Main Rig after all this time:)!
Now...let's see if it actually gets here.

I am a bit perplexed by all of this. I just watched the CE version I bought this past January. However, I know I have had the disc in my collection about 4 to 6 months before making the time to view it. The kicker, it is the corrected version according to the info here; having the TECHNICOLOR/CA print and the C3.2 as well. It plays fine on on my Toshiba 3108 mfd. Dec. 1998 no firmware update; yet. The only issue I noticed is that it has an extended delay time in loading and switching menus. Aside from the delay, it doesn't lock up.

I just confirmed my statement above on my buy.com account before sending this reply:

40146200 Dinosaur (Disney Collector's Edition) 1 $28.99 Shipped

Shipped on 6/26/2001 via USPS Priority. Click here to track: *omitted*

P.S. Also, it is a gold disc, not silver...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I had always thought that the gold color indicated dual layering while silver indicated single layering. This apparently is not the case.
Last year or so they developed a slightly different dual layering process, and one of the side effects of using the different process is that the discs are silver instead of gold. Not that gold ones aren't still released, since the old process is still used!

See the theatrical Charlie's Angels disc; it was one of the first.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
I remember loads of people reporting problems with the 2 disc Collector's Edition set. But were there any problems with the single disc version?

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
A question for Sam R. Aucoin, what dates do you have for the old and new VOB files?

Do they match my dates for the new and old set?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
For what its worth, my OLD set is the GOLD TECHNICOLOR-both discs;

The NEW set that arrived today, are both SILVER, and have a BAR CODE in the inner ring. Disc #1 had a few suspicious smudges on it, but I dont have time to sit thru it.

I am assuming that the VOB Files mentioned earlier are from computer viewing....

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
Enrique:

Sorry - I don't have a DVD-ROM drive to read the file names/dates.

And btw - the printed surface of the cover of disc 1 on my new set also has some "faded" areas near the center of the disc.

Ed Jewell

Agent
Just went out to check the mail and, what do you know, there was my new copy of the Dinosaur CE DVD. I just took a quick glance at them and I first noticed that the new (and I hope improved) version is pressed on silver discs. My old version was gold. I just hope that my Toshiba 6200 can play this version without any errors.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Received my copy here in Virginia on Thursday. I haven't had time to open it up to compare but all outside artwork and UPC codes are identical to the old version so to me there is no way to tell the new pressing from the old at the store level.

Why didn't they indicate which is which by some outward means?

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
All I want to know is this: Can you pause the damn movie with the new discs? I've got the 2-disc CE, and it is the only disc in my collection that can not be paused. I was watching it today actually, and the phone rang... and I had to mute the volume because I couldn't pause the damn movie. Other than that, I have no playback problems... but I'd definitely trade up if you can pause the new disc.

Ed Jewell

Agent
:emoji_thumbsup:
Well, I finally had a moment to look at my replacement Disc 1 of my Dinosaur CE on my Tosh. 6200. I immediately skipped to chapter 17 because this is where the problems stated for me.
Fist of all, the layer-change was gone from the beginning of chapter 17 (where the Carnotaurs were outside the cave). Yaaaa! No more layer-change! Oh wait! They moved the damn thing, its now at the very beginning of chapter 20! Caused a 1 sec. pause on my 6200. Damn!!
Second, on my fist CE addition there was a loss of picture when the Carnotaurs were entering the cave. This was corrected on the second addition. Played without a hitch.
I never had the problems of freezing, slow loading, or not being able to pause, so I can't comment on these.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
Just wanted to let everyone know that I too received the replacement *Corrected* copy of Dinosaur CE and it works like a charm.
I tried to pause it and that too worked without a hitch.
The only thing I did note was there appeared to be not one, but TWO layer changes but I could have been experiencing a glitch of some sort. There was a pause that looked like a layer change around the "dry lake" and then again as the Carnotaur is leaving the cave...but who knows. I'm just happy that I can play the disc in the Living Room!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks